Amazing Low Wattage Point to Point Amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gtrdaddy, Feb 29, 2012.

1. gtrdaddy

gtrdaddy Supporting Member

For years, I've known of Traynor Amps. Never really had experience with one until I attended a 'Fall Social' for our local chapter of the Blues Society. I played a YGM3 (hand wired re-issue)on stage that belonged to the host and it sounded fantastic. I finally picked one up. It is probably sweetest sounding amp I've ever played at a LOW VOLUME! This thing is the ideal 'bedroom' amp. At the lowest volume, it sounds completely full. It's a 20 watt, EL84 based, hand wired point to point, single channel non-master vol amp, equipped with one 12" Jensen, with a full CLOSED BACK cabinet design. This thing develops incredible bass without being muddy and takes all of my pedals very well, better than most. I had a Boogie LSS, that on 5 watts sounded great, but never sounded close to this good at a low volume. When pushed, it has a really nice, creamy breakup, and pushed hard, is a wonderful natural overdrive without being excessively loud, not blowing out your eardrums. It's a perfect small stage amp too. All I can say is wow. Won't break the bank either. Around $1100

Only thing negative I can think of, is new out of the box, speaker needs to be broken in, but does so fairly quickly and once broken in, is pretty sweet.

Anyone else try one of these great amps?

2. jjp

jjp Senior Member

It's a great amp. Great sound, very well put together, and a very good price when you consider what Fender charges for their hand wired amps. Even their run of the mill tube driven PCB architecture amps (like the YGL1 and WR20) are very well made and sound great. I wish I had room for another!

3. gtrdaddy

Yeah, I played their PCB channel switching amps and was pretty impressed. You get a lot for you money I think. This is the first one I've owned...I'm probably going to pick up something else from them now. I guess I've become a fan :) I was looking online, and their extension cabs look pretty darn incredible for the price too!

4. guitarcapo

guitarcapo Senior Member

point to point means no board at all.

This is point to point:

[​IMG]

5. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

:agreeThis is correct. Turretboard/ eyeletboard don't sound quite as sexy, I guess... Then some amps, e.g. Hiwatts, are an inbetween where the components are soldered onto strips in multiple rows.

6. gtrdaddy

Sheeze. C'mon guys. Ok, so the YGM3 has a turret board. It is still hand soldered point to point on a turret board.

7. gtrdaddy

Kinda splitting hairs no?

8. pcutt

pcutt Member

Not at all! You can have
    - Point-to-point
    - Point-to-something-to-point

9. gtrdaddy

:facepalm

10. Jon@Home

Jon@Home Member

In a Silvertone PtoP means a mess....

11. GA20T

GA20T Member

12. Red House

Red House Silver Supporting Member

:rotflmao

13. Dale

Dale Member

I agree. This is a bit more fine a cut than I would go with in most contexts.

14. Rockprocess

Rockprocess Supporting Member

I recently picked up a '69 whiteface YGM-3 and it's one heck of an amp. It's overall a very sweet sounding amp. I bought it specifically for lower volume playing and it delivers the goods!

15. Onioner

Onioner Member

More just bring accurate. PCB, turret , eyelet, and PtP all mean different things. If you don't want to be accurate, don't distinguish at all.

Especially as it doean't really matter (duck and hide...).

16. Onioner

Onioner Member

But there's no more difference between PCB and PtP than there is between eyelet and PtP. They're all distinctive styles. Like I say, if you don't want to distinguish, then don't mention it at all. Saying an eyelet is PtP is just as innacurate as saying a PCB is PtP. If you don't care about the distinction (and I, for one, don't) then don't distinguish, but if you want to, then do so accurately.

17. gtrdaddy

Funny thing about it; Traynor and most companies using a turret board refer to the product as point to point....including Leo Fender....RIP

18. gtrdaddy

Or an eyelet board ;-)

19. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

Man, that's beautiful.:love: Just like mom used to make.......:cry:

20. gtrdaddy

Looks like electrocution and/or fire waiting to happen....

I think someone here once said "duck and hide!"