1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

AMAZING Mic Pre-Amps for Overheads? (around £500)

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Spratty59, May 17, 2011.

1. Spratty59

Spratty59 Member

I have posted 3 Similar topics because I want some quite direct answers.
    (Not attempting to spam.)

Generally Looking for an incredible Stereo mic Pre-amp for over heads.
    I want it to just pick the whole kit up nicely not too much of the cymbals or anything and MAYBE but not necessarily fatten it up a 'tad' (but a tad only).

I had the RNP in mind but wanted to double check. I hear it constantly compared with the DAV BG1?

Thanks.

2. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

This is a Gearslutz kind of question.

Some record here, but the info shared is more guitar-centric.

Rane MS1b, GAP 73...

3. chrisgraff

chrisgraff Member

A popular choice in Nashville for that application is the Langevin Dual Vocal Combo.

perfect eq/comp (limiting) for overheads.

One sold on ebay recently for $1226 USD. A little out of your price range, but not much.

4. KillerV

KillerV Member

I'll recommend something based on all 3 your threads (not gonna post it in every thread, though :D ) and my experience

Try the FMR Audio RNP. It's right in your price range. It's just slightly colored but still quite clean and it's a stereo unit, so you'll be covered for overheads. I track a LOT of guitars with the RNP and I've always been happy. Using the Hi-Z input, you can get a great bass sound (not just my opinion - I know lots of pros who love tracking bass through it).

Other pre's do add different colors, but the RNP's quality is right up there. I think of the RNP as sort of the SM57 of the preamp world - a quality, if a little boring, unit that delivers pro results - amazing results on some sources - at a really amazing price. If it was in a nicer box, you'd pay 3x more for it. I have a couple and don't think I'll ever part with them. Do not be put off by snobs who look down on the RNP because of price and/or looks. THIS BOX ROCKS!!!

5. loudboy

loudboy Member

Used Hardy or Great River MP-2MH