Amazing new Swan!!!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Fusionshred, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Fusionshred

Fusionshred Supporting Member

2. clarkram

clarkram Member

damn, I like that a lot.

3. Kalalau Hiker

Kalalau Hiker Supporting Member

The Outskirts of Infinity ...aka Philly burbs.
    that's gorgeous ... and sounds gorgeous too

congrats on continuing to make incredibly elegant guitars Jim.

click on the sound sample link!

4. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

I really do dig Jim's "Radius" but his new Solocaster has me in a frenzy!

[​IMG]

I'm eagerly awaiting a 7-string Contour with an Alder body and Black Limba top as we speak and I'm already trying to figure out how I can get my hands on one of these bad boys!

_TJK*

5. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I hadn't seen that yet. Wow!

Bryan

6. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

I just sent in deposit for my Solocaster, the MOTO Monster :crazyguy

7. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

Your a Swan-maniac!

Wait until you guys see what Jim is cooking up for me....... It's top secret at the moment, but if it works out......:drool

8. wstsidela

wstsidela I'm bonafied Gold Supporting Member

I just mailed my Solocaster deposit too :BEER

9. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

Thanks guys.

I started 2007 absolutely committed to consolidating our designs around a handful of standardized models. Instead, it ended up being a year where we did more experimentation than ever. Of all the design changes and experiments though, the Radius is the one that I'm probably the happiest about. Unfortunately, I still did't get to keep one for myself. The one in the photo has a mate with a top from the same piece of walnut and a korina back. I was planning to keep that one for myself, but I made the mistake of showing it to someone with cash in their pocket. We've got another one in progress now with a maple top and a korina back.

Most people seem to think that the big breakthrough for the year was the Solocaster (the T type Swan that Taron posted). It was certainly the biggest departure. I really didn't know if the traditional Tele bridge would work and I had no idea what the 27" scale length would do to the tone. I turned out that the bridge worked out very well and tonally, it's the biggest sounding Tele I've ever heard. We're about to start one with maple top and korina back (obviously, I like that wood combo right now). I'm dying to hear what that sounds like.

BTW, we made a few cosmetic changes to the Solocaster prototype, so for the sake of accuracy, here's what it looks like now.

[​IMG]

10. alaskagrown

alaskagrown Member

The Radius linked at the top is mine... It is an amazing instrument, the finest I have ever played. I live close to Jim, so I was able pick out the wood for the top and fingerboard, and I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. The Radius design was a result of my wanting the contoured sides for greater comfort, but not wanting the arm-cut because it would cut into the walnut top and make the sound chamber smaller. Jim really came through for me, giving me my perfect guitar!

Unfortunately my amp (CAA OD-100) is back with Mr. Suhr getting updated, so I haven't really been able to let it rip yet, but it's a thrill just playing it unplugged.

11. andygio

andygio Member

I love the vibe captured in the Solocaster, but the top half of the pickguard looks a little TOO Tele for me. I like the way the cutaway follows the shape of the lower bout. Any chance you could work on the top half of the pickguard so that it flows with the graceful curve of the body?

12. alaskagrown

alaskagrown Member

I don't even really notice the longer scale, and I came from Les Paul country. The only thing I've noticed is a couple times while playing standing up, I had unconsciously shifted the guitar back a little so I was holding the neck in roughly the same place as I did with my LP, while picking/strumming closer to the neck PU than usual... But once I noticed it, it was easy enough to correct. I'm sure I'll get used to it in no time. I don't even have any problems moving around the neck without looking at the fretboard... I was a little worried about going without inlays, but it's not an issue at all.

13. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

How long of a wait for a Swan these days? It seems there's been a lot more of a buzz about Soloway (and rightfully so) lately.

I like the original LN6 with a mahogany top and a P-90 style for the neck pup. Ebony board....

I want one.

14. arfalax

arfalax Member

I dunno how long the wait for a new build is but I just got his "loaner' guitar which USPS Express delivered on Sunday! I was so excited and have been since. And the longer scale is hardly noticeable and that's after only 3 days. And I can't get it to go out of tune, what's up with that? Wonderful guitar. Now I'm going to have to find out how long to build something beautiful like the ones above. :drool

15. wstsidela

wstsidela I'm bonafied Gold Supporting Member

My guitar will be done in 4 or 5 months.

16. alaskagrown

alaskagrown Member

I got mine in around 3 months! It's the fastest I've heard getting a custom built guitar made. I think Jim's a little busier these days (especially with NAMM) but I think wait time is still less than 4 months.

Edit: Oops, you beat me to it... OK, less than 5 months!

17. jzilla

jzilla Member

will jim soloway have a booth at NAMM?

18. trisonic

trisonic Member

Wow! Beautiful stuff, Jim!

Love the Solocaster, nice 'burst.

Best, Pete.

19. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

Great looking guitar but from a cosmectic view, Miss the look of the binding, I also like the sharp edges. beautiful guitar though.
    That swancaster looks very cool though , love that guitar .make one of those out of korina with a see through finish and I bet it would look evennicer if thats possible, i still say design a cool pickguard for the fledgeling too.
    great guitars though love my two swans .

20. mprvise

mprvise Member

I say no, and so does everybody who plays mine. The guy who has done all my set up work for over 20 years played mine recently and was amazed at how easy it was to feel comfortable. His main guitar for about the last 35 years is a '57 Strat. At first you notice the fret spacing a bit in the first 5 - 7 frets, and bends take a touch more effort, but I get used to it in just a few minutes, even after not playing the Swan for a few weeks.