Amazing software metronome, music program

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Neer, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Neer

Neer Member

(Please note, I have no connection whatsoever with this software)

I recently purchased a program called "Tune Smithy" which, honestly I can't even begin to say I understand. It is described as a "music generator, and microtonal compositional tool", but it is so much more. There are so many features in it--some very, very useful, including a chord progression player which enables you to enter a chord progression in as text, and it will play back in MIDI. The other really great piece of software in the package is called "Bounce Metronome".

Yeah, I know, metronomes suck, yada yada, if you have good time you don't need one....Those are some of the knocks I've heard and truthfully, although I own a metronome, I've never been into using it much. The difference with this metronome is that it has so many functions, it's mind-boggling. The Polyrhythmic Metronome is really what I am focused on right now--eg, playing 3 over 5, etc. It took me about 5 minutes to get the hang of really playing it along with the Bounce Metronome.

This is some pretty serious stuff. Check it out:

http://bouncemetronome.com/metronome-software.htm
    http://robertinventor.com/software/tunesmithy/music.htm

This has been a public service announcement.

2. KRosser

KRosser Member

Thanks for the heads-up...looks interesting. I think I'm going to check it out

3. shigihara

shigihara Member

great stuff... the videos are awesome... no mac OSX though...

4. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Wow ... that's very cool ... will have to check it out too ... gracious

5. mike walker

mike walker Member

Not for Mac tho. Damn!

6. RobRowland

RobRowland Member

Been using bounce metronome for a while now - it's a very good little program!

7. Mandoboy

Mandoboy Member

The amount of people born with the kind of natural time sense of someone like Jeff Berlin (anti-metronome) is astonishingly small. I thought I was one, until I actually tried it :bonk

8. Kappy

Kappy Member

I've been using Tune Smitty and his polyrhythmic metronome (now called Bounce Metronome) for several years now. I really like what he's done with that app. And he's a really nice guy, has always been very personable in answering questions and other stuff.

9. Neer

Neer Member

dkap, can you talk about Tune Smithy a little and define some of the elements of the program that you find useful? I would appreciate it.

10. konstantine

konstantine Member

wow, thanks for that!!! really appreciated!!

11. Kappy

Kappy Member

Sure. Thanks for asking. For one, he has programmed a ton of microtonal stuff into it...from crazy non-western scales and melodic permutations derived from those scales. My plan was to practice fretless guitar against some of this stuff because it sounded so cool right out of the box. (Still have yet to get that fretless!) But the app is basically a sequencer that will allow you to program all manner of crazy microtonal or polyrhythmic stuff into it, so it's not just canned melodies and scales.

The metronome is simply amazing (this coming from a guy who, oddly, collects metronomes), allowing me to program a seemingly limitless amount of beats and counter beats (imagine 17 - 13 - 11 - 7 - 5 - 4 & 3 all playing different sounds simultaneously, evenly, against each other --- sounds horrid, right? Well you can do that if you want to...the program doesn't limit you). Robert told me I could program Zappa's The Black Page (and it's nested polyrhythms) into Tune Smitty, but I never got around to learning how to do it -- which leads me to my one caveat about this program (speaking more of my experience with the older Tune Smitty, he's made a lot of changes in the newer Bounce Metronome): The user interface isn't always that intuitive or simple to grasp. Then again, this app is more like a musical discovery tool (IMO/IME), so perhaps a funky interface is good for something like that.

He does offer a trial, so there's really no risk to check it out.

Good luck!

Dave

12. dsimon665

dsimon665 Supporting Member

13. robertinventor

robertinventor Member

Thanks for your kind comments, and nice to hear from you Dave.

Thought I'd just say Hi, and to say if any of you have any questions or suggestions for Bounce Metronome Pro, don't hesitate to contact me at any time.

I'm just in the middle of preparing another update which will be ready later this week (hopefully). It adds a new metronome to play rhythms like 4/4 + 7/8.

It also adds another metronome to play polyrhythms such as 4/4 over 4/3 and 4/4 over 4/g (where g is the golden ratio)

Here are a couple of videos
    4/4 over 4/3

Both rhythms play 4 beats to the measure, but the timing of the measures in the two rhythms differs so the 4/3 plays four beats each a third of a whole note so plays three of its beats to every four beats of the 4/4.

4/4 over 4/g

Here g is the golden ratio - and that makes this polyrhythm the most out of time with each other two players can possibly be both playing a steady 4/4 rhythm.

It can do polyrhythms like these already in fact - but with some minor glitches and they were a bit hidden away, as you needed to know that it is permitted to enter a time signature such as 4/3 before you could make them and there is a check box you have to switch on as well before it will do it.

Making it a separate metronome will make it easier to find and use the feature.

and I'll also fix some bugs I found recently.

It is still in beta and I'm working on it right now. Hope to have the update ready by the end of the week.

14. mike walker

mike walker Member

Robert,

Jeez... this would be a great teaching tool to my students to understand grouping and cross rhythms etc (not to mention a great practice tool for me!).

I'm doing a summer school in Aug on Time and Groove so i'll be recommending this to the students.

I'll clean your car, mow your lawn, dress in a shorty nightie (i'm 6 4) and stand outside a Police station of your choice, and generally become a better person if you do a programme for mac within 5 minutes of reading this obsequious obfuscation.

Thank you

Mike

15. robertinventor

robertinventor Member

Hi Mike,

Oh I wish I could do a version for the Mac.

The only way I can think it might be possible is with a virtual machine. Otherwise you have to write the whole thing from scratch which is a long job.

TECHY DETAILS

The thing is the existing code calls lots of routines which you only have on Windows. The whole architecture of the program is also based on the archietcture of the user interface for Windows. E.g. detecting whether the user has pressed a button, where the mouse is, displaying graphics to the screen, even down to how you draw a circle or rectangle on the display - all of that is based on the way you do those things in Windows and the Mac will have completely different ways of doing all that. I mean some of the same ideas - but the names of the routines, what order you have to do things, how you vary colours and widths of lines, what you have to do to prepare the screen for drawing and so on - all that will be different on the Mac.

So to run it on a Mac you have to rewrite it from scratch for the Mac - or else you have to find a way to emulate the way Windows works on a Mac so that the software can run in the same way as it does on Windows.

There's a bit about it here:
    http://www.bouncemetronome.com/for_windows.htm#mac_linux

VIRTUAL MACHINES FOR THE MAC

These nowadays are pretty fast, near native in speed and the integration with the Mac desktop is supposed to be pretty seamless. So it is definitely an idea that is worth exploring - lets you run a Windows program on the Mac desktop along with your other Mac programs.

See:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallels_Desktop_for_Mac

I know that a few users used Tune Smithy on a Mac with Virtual PC - that was before the days of Parallels Desktop. It was slow - they reported - but worked okay otherwise.

But so far no-one has reported usingTune Smithy or BM Pro with Parallels Desktop or any of the newer virtual machines, and I don't know if it works.

I did have one user a year or so ago who gave it a go and couldn't get it to work, but he wasn't very techy and so couldn't say much about why it didn't work (and without Mac experience myself it would be hard for me to understand a non techy explanation anyway). But he had some issue with his Mac installation after he tried out the idea - so naturally enough, uninstalled BM Pro and gave up on it.

Wth only one example I don't know if it is the same for any Mac, or something to do with his machine or the way he had Parallels desktop set up or a bug in BM Pro - or just an unrelated glitch that happened coincidentally and had nothing to do with BM Pro or what it was.

So - anyway, I wouldn't want to encourage non techy users to try this out - just in case - until others have tried it out first and found out how best to do it.

But if anyone reading this has a Mac with Parallels Desktop, and is techy enough to give it a go and able to recover from techy issues that may happen when they try it out, do let me know what happens and if there are any bugs in BM Pro itself I can get it to generate bug reports to find out what is happening and hopefully fix them.

Oh and if you can multi-boot your Mac to Windows, as I think you can nowadays on many Macs (of course have to buy a copy of Windows to do it) then - not tried that either - but that is much simpler as then you are actually working with a native Windows installation. I'd expect that to work and well worth a try, though you won't be able to do it at the same time as you run native Mac apps on the same desktop which you can do with Parallels Desktop.

Anyway that's my only thought, multi-boot to Windows, or Parallels Desktop.

Sorry,

Thanks for recommending it to your students (for when you do).

Robert

16. Neer

Neer Member

Robert, thanks for stopping by and giving your input. I'm looking forward to your newest release. I'm very impressed with the program thus far and believe it was well worth the cost, although Tune Smithy, on the whole, may be a little over my head.

17. Kappy

Kappy Member

Hi Robert! Nice to see you chiming in here. Hope you're well.

I just wanted to add that VirtualBox is free virtual machine software that you can install on a Mac to run a virtual windows session within your Mac desktop. I've used it and it's quite good! The tricky part is sometimes getting full duplex audio between the host system and the guest system, but it's surmountable if it doesn't "just work" (and in most cases it does just work). You'll have to install VirtualBox, then install Windows inside VirtualBox. I thought I'd offer that for anyone who didn't want to pay for Parallels if they didn't already have a copy. (It's now an Oracle product, but it's still free ... for the time being.)

Best,

Dave

18. KRosser

KRosser Member

I became a crushed and beaten shell of my former self as soon as I learned there was no Mac version...I suppose I will pick up the pieces and carry on with my life....but not...just...yet...*sniff*

(Are you kidding? GIT is all Mac...I could spread this like wildfire there)

19. Mandoboy

Mandoboy Member

Ditto for Berklee.

20. mike walker

mike walker Member

'....and then these big guys from TGP started ganging up on me so i just had to write a new programme for MAC....:boxer :love: