Amazon fire tablet? Any users...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Qstick333, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Qstick333

Qstick333 Member

My iPad died a couple days out Pfizer warranty and apactet a trip to the apple store they told me I could spend $249 to have it repaired. Given the cost of a new one, this doesn’t make much sense to me.

I only use the tablet for social media, reading occasional email Andy browsing some websites. Basically wasting time with the tv on in the background or waiting for the kids to hop off the bus, etc...

Is the amazon fire hd capable enough to not be annoying for these uses? The price is certainly cheap....

Thanks.

2. sixstringfuel

sixstringfuel Hotdogs kill Silver Supporting Member

3. ffoont

ffoont Member

I have 8 fire tablets in 7 and 8 inch sizes. The hardware is just fine imo. Amazon's take on android is pretty awful but you can load google's play store on them and once you've done that you're on your way.

Drew816 likes this.
  4. Qstick333

Qstick333 Member

Once you have the google store loaded and you are using any app you want, does it behave much like a “regular” tablet? I’m not familiar with the amazon version of android.

5. ffoont

ffoont Member

Not sure what you mean. It is a regular tablet, runnung amazon's version of android which includes a bunch of amazon related junk on the "desktop" screen. But once you launch an app its no different than any android decice. The big sifference is that in it's original form it uses amazon's app store instead od google's so the selection of apps is limited in comparison to the google play store.

For example amazons app store does not have any other browsers so you can only run the one that comes preinstalled.

I should mention that all of my fire tablets are at least one year old now so there could possibly be updates that might prevent installing google services. Not that I am aware that anything has changed and maybe someone else can confirm that it still works.

55goldtop likes this.
  6. LHanson

LHanson Member

I have two, a 10 inch and a 7. I use them for surfaces to control an XR 18 mixer. Cheap, well built, good battery life, and I'm not going to be terribly upset if they get damaged or stolen, given that both cost me much less than an Ipad.

7. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Silver Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    It’s ok for just web surfing and social media. That’s about it. I got one in August, ended up with an new iPad in December. I let my son use the Fire.

8. Drew816

Drew816 Supporting Member

My kids have them, they work but they're are annoying as heck to administer and setup and tend to just FREEZE up for no reason. Now the kids have the cheaper models mind you, so maybe their higher dollar units work better but...

I would not survive using one as my main portable device.

I had my battery "replaced" in my iPad a while back, it was a $99 charge and they just handed me a brand new iPad Air since they don't actually do the swaps for iPads in house. So I got a brand new iPad all these years later for $99, SOLD! They did my iPhone 6S battery replacement for free at the same time.

Good luck!

9. Better Late

Better Late Member

I have a 10 for and an 8 at work. Mostly internet at home, at work I use it for music--Amazon music, Pandora and Iheart connected to a Bluetooth speaker. Yes the spell check has a mind of its own at times.
    Wife has a 10 also, she likes to watch movies on hers, uses Bluetooth headphones with it, which is good I don't have to hear the Hallmark channel drama to.

10. scott58

scott58 Member

I started out with the 7 and now use the 10. The only real downside to this is the autocorrect. But it does everything else really well. I also use headphones with this. Movies, music all good. With prime I have access to alot of stuff.

11. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

I bought my Father a Fire HD8 for Christmas. It was $50. (Best Buy even had a deal going where you could get 2 Fire HD8 Tablets for $80)... I should have done this and kept one for myself!

I was able to compare the Fire 8 directly to my Wife's newer iPad.

The Fire 8 was pretty darn nice for the money, but it's certainly no Apple product. It has a cheaper feel and is slower... but still very functional. It's a very good "budget" tablet.

I also had to load up the Google Play Store (google for step-by-step instructions). This really allowed you to get the apps you really want.

12. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

I've used my Dad's Fire before.... it was a little slower and had ads, but for browsing facebook and the internet I think it would work fine. Not sure for stuff like youtube or music services though.

13. Miguel Martinez

Miguel Martinez Member

I´m and Androir user an defender but I dont like the version they use on this tablets.

14. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

I'm happy with mine ... it's a couple of years old ... a 7 inch IIRC

web surfing and kindle books are my main uses

I've messed around with a few games on there as well

:banana