Amazon has ruined my life

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by John Mark Painter, Jul 10, 2018.

1. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Supporting Member

First world problems

Their warehouses full of minions fulfilling orders plus the deals they have cut with shipping services make every one else look so slow :)

I had a couple of Fedex ground packages the last few weeks and now a UPS ground package that will arrive in town and then SIT. A day will go by and then it tracks at a sorting destination. I had a Fedex that was 'out for delivery' for 4 days before they finally brought it to me.

I Have one coming now that got to Nashville late friday night and is probably going to be delivered today.

Amazon orders that come by USPS will arrive in the middle of the night, go to sorting immediately and are out for delivery early in the morning.

Maybe UPS and Fedex intentionally drag their feet on Ground delivery?
    I wonder if Amazon gets preferential treatment due to their 'prime' deals.

fretless, Simon and AbePhroman like this.
  2. ellsworthman

ellsworthman Silver Supporting Member

My experience is the opposite. If an Amazon order comes via FedEx or UPS, I almost invariably get it on time. If it comes USPS, it is almost always late.

3. bastian

bastian Member

I believe these trends ruin others more than they ruin your life.

4. Nebakanezer

Nebakanezer Silver Supporting Member

In a geographical anomaly, 2 weeks from everywhere
    Around the holidays, they ended their business dealings with UPS (or maybe it was FedEx?) and overloaded the Post Office with packages. So by now, they have probably have worked out th bugs with regards to the extra load that Amazon has given them.

5. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals

That’s the way they work.

Once they’ve got you “hooked”, they’ll be the only game in town to get your “fix”.

NeedmoreCrunch, rsm, pemkt and 2 others like this.
  6. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

Funny. I’ve noticed an Amazonian shift toward noncommittal lately.. Prime eligible items now say “guaranteed 3 day delivery” or longer.

That said, I’ve now stretched my 12 month membership to 15 months (3 free) due to their failure to deliver on time! Two instances involved amazon’s own (experimental?) courier service and once via UPS.

7. John Mark Painter

Sometimes Amazon orders are sent via UPS but are delivered by USPS.
    That causes them to take an extra day or even two.

I know it also depends upon where you live as far as the sorting process goes.
    I've lived at my current place 2 years. I think it is a little bit of a black hole for Fedex.

When I ship, I always use USPS as there are two self service kiosks within a couple miles of me.
    The 2-3 day Priority has been very reliable.

8. themass

themass Supporting Member

I’ve solved that by not buying anything from amazon!

alexradium, kushman, zenfreud and 5 others like this.
  9. ellsworthman

ellsworthman Silver Supporting Member

USPS has been so bad with my Amazon orders that I am supposedly flagged in the system as to have the Postal Service used only as a last resort...Amazon was good about it for a while, but they've gone back to USPS more and more (particularly with the SmartPost for the last leg on the trip).

I am debating dropping Amazon when the price hike hits later this year. Most of what I need I can buy locally; the rest is often impulse buys I can probably live without. I have been using a Kindle for reading but I prefer a real book in my hands...and the Amazon streaming is, to me, a lot of garbage. I am going to guess I can live without it just fine.

bloobeastie likes this.
  10. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

USPS has been fantastic for Amazon here. 7 days a week, early morning next day deliveries. Also, we use USPS for shipping about 10,000 orders a year and very rarely have issues.

11. kwicked

kwicked Supporting Member

I knew this would happen when they repealed shipping neutrality.

12. songtalk

songtalk Member

I think this is less about Amazon and more about USPS and how friggin awesome they are. I always use USPS ever since all the other folks have made me want to pull my hair out more than once.

13. ERWebster

ERWebster Silver Supporting Member

Where I live, the package situation is a little different. UPS is always so slow, USPS is pretty quick, and FedEx is never late.

Also, UPS annoyed me with the fact that Ground orders get Saturday delivery, but 2-day overnight orders don't unless you pay extra. But most websites aren't set up to flag the Saturday delivery. Very annoying.

All that being said though, it does seem like Amazon packages get the preferential treatment regardless of carrier.

uberdave likes this.
  14. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Member

There are circumstances that prevail......

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Rob Eddy

Rob Eddy Supporting Member

I solved all of my shipping problems by having everything delivered to my work address. I work in the parts/shipping/receiving area so, it works great for me. Plus, wifey doesn't know how much or how little stuff I get. Lol.

16. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

Well, there's a strong rumor (with maps/drawings/plans) in the local news yesterday that an Amazon distribution warehouse is getting built 10min from my house.
    Not sure if that's a consolation prize if we don't get the HQ2 in Raleigh, or if it is a stronger indication that we ARE.

If I can get stuff from Amazon that much faster, not complaining.

FWIW, when Mojotone (a little less than 2hrs from here) sent me an order via FedEx, it went PAST MY HOUSE to the big hub in MEMPHIS F_ _ KING TENNESSEE(!!!!), THEN went BACK to the Greensboro or Raleigh NC locations, then came to my house. Even Mojotone said they have no idea why they do it that way, but they do.

Sardocasm likes this.
  17. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    smiert spionam, thomas4th and Hawking like this.
  18. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Your post is very confusing - I don't understand what you are referring to that ruins your
    life? That FedEx and UPS are not efficient enough - or that Amazon is and that makes
    your relationship with shipping companies worse?

None the less - UPS and FedEx are overwhelmed - their systems and processes are woefully
    antiquated - they have very little flexibility to react to market surges - and Amazon is
    pressuring them under threat of building their own delivery service - to change all that.

Who knows what'll happen - Amazon will probably buy one out - or get serious and build
    their own shipping network. Surprisingly USPS has a stellar record with Amazon.

Achewood_Johnson likes this.
  19. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

The guys on our dock do the same thing. Fed EX and UPS deliver here daily.

20. John Mark Painter

It seems that Amazon packages through UPS travel substantially faster than UPS or Fedex packages from Sweetwater or from JHS.

DreamTheaterRules likes this.