AmazonBasics guitar pedals

skiltrip

Silver Supporting Member
The longer this thread continues, the closer I am to just buying that stupid Distortion pedal. lol. Nope, ain't gonna. No really...

filtersweep

Some cost difference will be justified both by the “plain Jane” branding but also the increased scale brought by amazon.

But the largest point is - is guitar really dying if Amazon think they can sell those at scale? Seems while TGP’ers have been lamenting the death of guitar the last 20 years, there is a vibrant guitar scene happening somewhere. Perhaps it didn’t register here due to the lack of custom shop guitars and boutique TS variants.

;p
On youtube, guitar is alive and well.

Dave541 has millions of followers— and he is only a bassist.

People consume music differently. There are loads of guitar driven bands on Spotify that are great— who have never been close to a ‘radio’ or ‘MTV.’

TGP is a bunch of oldsters who are out of touch. My kids have never actually paid for music. And live shows in COVID times? Forget it.

Amazon entering into the effects market is one more reason to support your favorite pedal builders. I've seen this very thing happen in skateboarding with Nike, Converse, Adidas and New balance entering the market
and a lot of the smaller og skateboarding shoe brands have been squeezed out of business. Any money one spends on Amazon guitar pedals will not go back into the music equipment industry. What I'm saying is that my dollars will be supporting my favorite manufacturers and not a large corporate entity. Yes I realize there are some large corporate entities within the guitar world, but most of those entities have contributed to guitar gear, in some form or another, to get us to the point where we are now and they're not trying to jump in just to move product. Yes I realize this view point is a little idealistic, but it is important to stick to one's ideals. I realize that not everyone will agree with me, and will have their own different ideals. It's a free market so buy whatever you feel like. I am not trying to push my ideas on anyone just simply voicing them.

Have a good day and a happy Halloween.

Skyler

Last edited:

bluesuede

I
I don’t want to sniff anything of yours; thank you.

It’s not elitist to want to work a simple job in assembly or manufacturing here in America.

I speak for myself only; I try very hard not to buy cheap crap out of China any longer. It’s like free/OP drugs… Seems like a good idea in the beginning… Fine, cheap stuff forever… Until the reality comes home and they own your soul.
I totally dig what your saying but that horse has left the barn and its not going back in. At this point, certain categories of goods are just not going to have made in the U.S. options and those that do are just prohibitively expensive for some people. These are a great option for those that want decent, inexpensive pedals.

strat o'saurus

The booster has treble, bass, and drive, but no volume.

I wonder if guitars are coming next.
Yeah, Amazon sells guitars -- Squiers, Epis, Grote (?), Firefly (?), and many others. All those brands are available at alternate sources. Amazon is a supporter of slave-labor countries, run by a 20th-century robber baron.

On youtube, guitar is alive and well.

Dave541 has millions of followers— and he is only a bassist.

People consume music differently. There are loads of guitar driven bands on Spotify that are great— who have never been close to a ‘radio’ or ‘MTV.’

TGP is a bunch of oldsters who are out of touch. My kids have never actually paid for music. And live shows in COVID times? Forget it.
100%. If you don't do streaming, social media ie YouTube/IG, than you basically don't exist right now. The money isn't in the music itself, it's in selling experience, merch, and services to your fanbase. YT, IG, TikTok, etc... all there to build the fanbase that you can then start selling to.

Sad to say that unless you're selling licenses or use of your music in other media... there's really no money in actually selling your music directly nowadays. You have to be prepared to give it for free, in order to bring people in and sell them other things like concert tickets, t-shirts and merch, and possible services & experiences with Patreon and other things.

Sure does suck but it's just how it is now.

Regarding these Amazon Basic pedals. I absolute hate Amazon, and avoid them more than covid.. so least to say I won't be buying these...

BUT, it is a reminder to all... those $500+ boutique pedals you're buying cost less than a 10th of the purchase price to actually make sometimes.

I have a 16 pedal board with a controller on it, and I probably own about 40 pedals... most of those being higher end stuff ie Analogman, Moog, Strymon, Chase Bliss, Diamond, Empress, ZVEX, Drybell etc (with a healthy dose of EHX for balance).

Last pedal I bought was an EHX Attack/Decay because it did something very specific that I was looking for and could never find.... but before that it's been a few years since I bought a pedal.... mostly because I realized... we're throwing so much money at these things, many times just isn't worth it. 90% of the time we just get hooked in by the marketing and aesthetics.

Last edited:

amz-fx

Silver Supporting Member
I wonder if Amazon might do a private branded guitar along the lines of Daisy Rock or Hello Kitty.
They have already partnered to make an exclusive guitar for Amazon. Private label is only a step away.

regards. Jack

Ry@n

Regarding these Amazon Basic pedals. I absolute hate Amazon, and avoid them more than covid.. so least to say I won't be buying these...

BUT, it is a reminder to all... those $500+ boutique pedals you're buying cost less than a 10th of the purchase price to actually make sometimes.

I have a 16 pedal board with a controller on it, and I probably own about 40 pedals... most of those being higher end stuff ie Analogman, Moog, Strymon, Chase Bliss, Diamond, Empress, ZVEX, Drybell etc (with a healthy dose of EHX for balance).

Last pedal I bought was an EHX Attack/Decay because it did something very specific that I was looking for and could never find.... but before that it's been a few years since I bought a pedal.... mostly because I realized... we're throwing so much money at these things, many times just isn't worth it. 90% of the time we just get hooked in by the marketing and aesthetics.
Just because it only costs Amazon that much to make pedals doesn’t mean the ones sold for $500 only cost that much to make...

seanp33

Just because it only costs Amazon that much to make pedals doesn’t mean the ones sold for $500 only cost that much to make...
Bingo. Paying people a living wage in the USA (or any developed country) necessitates a higher price than sweat shop labor overseas.

Also, many “boutique” companies are developing their own unique designs. These cheap amazon knock offs and others like them are paying sweat shop wages and zero in R&D.

amigo30

While we've been sitting here slamming these cheap embarassingly branded little pedals - about 2 dozen posters here have ordered all of them them, because - cheap pedals!

You know I'm not wrong on this. Bezos is laughing his ass off at American consumer behavior.

CoastalRyan

Gold Supporting Member
Not sure if it’s already been mentioned but it doesn’t look like Amazon is building anything.

Caught a video the other day where a guy opened it up and it was a Nux. So basically Amazon bought a ton on the cheap and simply rebranded.

Rmccamey

Yes, folks, we get what we wanted. As a result of years of not supporting our homegrown businesses that made products built to last, we have become a disposable society. If these pedals don't sound exactly right or if they fail in a year, it's cheaper to throw them away and buy another one. Hell, even some amps we buy today from our tried and true "brands" can cost more to repair than replace. I recall a recent post by a repair tech saying how it pained him to charge a customer 2 or 3 hours labor (which was more than the value of the amp) to replace a $2 part. I'm not saying these Amazon products are bad, I'm just saying we have done it to ourselves. I'm as guilty as anyone but for far too long we have looked only at cost rather than value.

Per the China argument...

It's throw away technology. Specifically designed to be the cheapest possible. If it can't be repaired, and is designed to be in a landfill a year later.. I pass. There's already more than enough trash out there as it is. If your cool with that, that's fine. I'm more in the quality over quantity camp myself.
I'm not sure if builders and companies are 'worried' right now, but is it cutting into their sales? Probably. US manufacturers used to laugh at 'Made in China', and they're mostly no longer around to laugh. I think many in the US are happy buying cheaper, and this is how it starts.
While we've been sitting here slamming these cheap embarassingly branded little pedals - about 2 dozen posters here have ordered all of them them, because - cheap pedals!

You know I'm not wrong on this. Bezos is laughing his ass off at American consumer behavior.

Trending Topics