Ambient and Close mic'ing

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Lefty, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Lefty

Lefty Member

Here's a sound clip I made with my Maz 18 Jr. 2x10 NR. This was my first time doing some straight through recording, kinda fun! So here's the deal, don't focus so much on the playing, but dig this...I used two mics, a 57 up close and off axis and an MXL 990 in the back of the room for ambience. If you pan left you hear the 57 up close, and right you hear the 990 in the back of the room.

I used a Pro Analog Dual Drive, you can hear me switching from just amp to the 1st channel and then to the heavier drivin 2nd.

http://www.leftyshouseoftone.com/sounds/JimiJam.mp3

2. Antero

Antero Member

3. shuffle

shuffle Member

That sounds great~ Good stuff!

Can i ask a really newby question: Are you using your volume knob to control the amount of gain??? i really like the changes!

4. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Sounds great. You might want to play with the balance and/or panning. It sounds like the left side is louder. For the purpose of hearing each mic, I'd bring the right mic up to match the left. But for mixing the two, I'd blend to taste and sum to mono. Then you can put it where you want in the mix using the pan without changing the balance.

5. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

I've used this setup as well.

6. Damon

Damon Member

Well I wish... I-I-I wuza catfish...

Cool stuff Lefty, nothing like a good room sound. I'd bring up the right channel a bit too.

7. Lefty

Lefty Member

No volume knob just switching channels. But the Dual Drive cleans up even better with the volume knob.

And thanks guys, I agree the left is a bit louder simply because it's closer to the amp. I was just trying to get the clip levels for each mic about the same. It was a quick take, and just some poking around fun with some new recording gear. I think with both pans in center they come out about even volume-wise. I'm an old fashioned analog mixer guy myself, this new technology is going to take a little getting used to :dude