Ambient Guitar Newbie

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Allmsthere, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Allmsthere

Allmsthere Member

I've recently gotten into the whole guitar soundscape/ambient phase. I ordered a Eventide Space that should be coming in tomorrow to start with my pedalboard. Do any of you guys who already have experience with pedals for this kind of genre have any suggestions of what else I should get next. I definitely want to get a Strymon Timeline but I'm kind of lost after that. :huh

2. Tonesmiths

Tonesmiths Member

You should be set with the Space/Timeline duo. All you really need now is a good volume pedal and some modulation effects. Oh, and go stereo if possible.

3. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

4. halcyon85

halcyon85 Member

Yeah, I agree. Once you get a Timeline you should be fairly good to go, and just get a volume pedal. If you don't want to mess with an actual volume pedal VFE offers the Bumblebee, which is a Boss Slow Gear clone plus a compressor in one. But to me that's kind of redundant with the Timeline's swell mode.

Experiment. Try other reverbs, try other delays. I know a lot of people use El Cap in place of the Timeline for ambient, and if you go that route you'll save some money. And a lot of people use multiple delays and verbs.

The POG is pretty popular in the ambient circles so you might look into that. Me personally, I would be too busy messing with the Timeline and the Space. Can get tons of sounds out of just those two pieces of gear. (I feel weird calling them pedals.)

5. Allmsthere

Allmsthere Member

I'm definitely going the stereo route. I'm currently running a ac15 and a fender deluxe extension cab with my tele. What are some pedals you would recommend?

6. Allmsthere

Allmsthere Member

What are some compression pedals you would suggest?

thanks for all the help :idea

7. Hazelwould

Hazelwould Member

I'd get fuzz (oscillating) and other shades of dirt. Also, vibrato, phaser, and tremolo. Anything to alter your sound and create more textures. I don't know how anyone could want to create "ambient" with just volume swells (filled with lots of delay and verb). You've gotta change it up with textures and sounds to make it interesting.

Also, check out the red panda particle. That thing rules for ambient/drone stuff.

8. Allmsthere

Allmsthere Member

9. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

I like simple, nice and cheap. I use a whirlwind red comp.

10. Allmsthere

Allmsthere Member

what do you guys think about jhs pedals?

11. TheGuacamoleXplosion

TheGuacamoleXplosion Member

You might also look into the Prometheus DLX filter pedal, can do a lot of different interesting sounds.

On Delay: I bought a Line6 M5 on Friday. After having owned a DL-4 and a M9 in the past and then switching to the Strymon Timeline, I found the Timeline just didn't give stuff that the Line6 stuff could; I found the Timeline "dTape" model to be a little static, "solid" and dark compared to the more airy (and admittedly a bit cardboardy) Line6 "Tube Delay" model. Plus, the Timeline "swell" is much more prone to trigger errors than the Line6 "Auto Volume Echo", and it swells only the wet part of the signal, while the Line6 also swells the dry.

However, the Timeline does other great stuff. The "Ice" mode is nice, dTape is great for darker tape echo sounds, "dBucket" is really nice, too (though it lost in direct comparison to my bandmates EHX Deluxe Memory Boy) . And I love the "hold footswitch for infinite repeats" feature.

Bottom line: I'm gonna keep the Timeline. Together with the M5 it's a great combo. M5 mainly for the "tube delay" and "Auto volume echo", but also for effects that I use to seldom to justify dedicated pedals, like whammy, harmonic pitch shift, tap tempo tremolo (even with Goatkeeper style patterns), sequencing wah (similar to ZVEX seek wah, but quite limited), ring modulation, flanger.

Here's two videos of Timeline vs M9 that I did while I had both:

And my Prometheus DLX demos:

12. ttasselm

ttasselm Member

Don't overthink it. Find a really solid delay and a really solid reverb - that's well more than half the battle. I think the rest is entirely up to you and is really just icing on the cake. I like a fuzz (Basic Audio stuff is great) and compressor (I prefer the Dyna Comp sound), but that's only when I'm playing post-rock with a lot of crescendos and building climaxes.

This is the best kind! (IMHO of course.) I spend most of my time making this kind of music. Nothing here but a guitar, volume knob, and a lot of reverb:

[SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/thesoundofrescue/pause[/SOUNDCLOUD]

13. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

My stuff = VOLUME PEDAL!, OD, Muff(anything by Stomp Under Foot or Wren & CUff), Delay(Malekko 616 LoFi), Reverb, more delay.(Earthquaker Devices Dispatch Master)

I also use a looper.(Boss RC-2)

14. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

Volume pedal, space, timeline....you're good

15. ivansardi

ivansardi Member

volume pedal timeline space m9 looper and a good FUZZ and thats it!

16. Allmsthere

Allmsthere Member

Thanks everyone! This really is a great community for musicians

17. omaht56

omaht56 Member

definitely get a dmc-3 for the timeline

18. Tonesmiths

Tonesmiths Member

After playing ambient guitar for some time and swapping a lot of pedals, I now have the perfect blend of a natural overdriven dry signal wrapped in a 3D ambient tone.
    My chain: Duesenberg Starplayer TV> TU-2> Strymon OB.1 (comp/boost)> Rockbox Boiling Point> VP jr.> Strymon El Cap stereo> TC Hall of Fame stereo (big room with a view TonePrint)> Pog 2> Jackson Britain 3.0/ vintage '65 Deluxe Reverb
    At one point I had a Roger Linn Adrenalinn III at the end of the chain. Cool pedal, but way too noisy. I will most likely add some sort of tap tempo modulation effect again. Perhaps a Eventide Modfactor or Young Pedals "The Looker"

19. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

phaser, flanger, chorus, vibrato, tremolo, univibe (rotary sim)
    harmonizer/pitch shifter/de-tune
    octave

And of course delay and reverb...
    I have a couple phasers, one is samwiched between 2 delays and I get a really cool modulation out of that

modulated reverb and delay is also important imo

20. Justin Gadell

Justin Gadell Member

agreed with ttasselm ;) but i also enjoy some post-rock too