Ambient Noise Pedalboard

staybobo

What 7 ambient noise pedals & 3 overdrive, distortion, or fuzz would be on your board & Why?

MBT74

I'm assuming that Strymon multi effects like the Mobius and Timeline are not allowed.

Catalinbread Echorec
Tym Civil War
Menatone Menawatt
BJFE Minivibe Deluxe
Pigdog MkII Professional
Catalinbread Topanga
Emma Discumbobulator
Hartman Flanger
Boss TR-2
Fromel Lush

NielsM

OD:
-Barber Gain Changer; Very versatile OD
-Timmy; IMO transparant boost work great with ambient sounds.
-Maxon OD820; for ambient lead

Ambient
-Neunaber Wet; Best reverb I ever heard
-Moog Minifooger Delay ; Very lush sounding delay
-Stymon El Capistan; Nice tape sounding delay
-MXR M234 Chorus; For a nice ambient chorus
-Keeley Magnetic Echo; I have this on my board. It sounds like a Carbon Copy only not as dark. Modulation knobs are great as well.
-Electro Harmonic POG; There are some examples of people using this for ambient tones. I think it sounds awesome.
- Providence Chrono Delay; For the clearer non modulated repeats.

Think this is a pretty versatile board. I like to add a volume pedal to this list for swells and I think I'd go with an Ernie Ball.

Ruiner

Can't exactly remember what i used in this experimental ambient improv piece but a few i know that were on the board at that time were:

Hologram Dream Sequence (i think)
MWFX Judder
Industrialectric RM-1N
Flux Liquid Ambience
EQD Afterneath
Eighty Tape Limbo II
Source Audio Nemesis

And for fuzz and OD i belive i used the BA Fuzz Mutant the most but some of these may have been on there as well:
Paul Trombetta Rotobone
SS/BS F$ck Overdrive
Lastgasp Art Laboratories Super Oscillo Fuzz 88
Toneczar Vault

Two more i would have used but didn't have them at the time (have them now)
Montreal Assembly CT5
Hexe Revolver DX

tobereleased

In all seriousness, an EHX RTG would be great for an ambient steup. You'd want something to switch between it and your guitar though.

(and yes, I have tried running one into a miku stomp and it was hilarious).

coltonius

Señor Member
7 Ambient/Noise:
• EQD Dispatch Master (soupy delay-verb)
• Analog Man ARDX20 (for the FX Loop)
• EHX POG2 (cello mode in the FX loop of the ARDX20)
• Boss DS-1 with circuit bends (synth & oscillation madness!)
• TCE Hall of Fame/Trinity (Big Room With a View)
• Lovepedal HSR-3 (versatile reverb with shimmer)
• Diamond Tremolo (square wave pulses)

3 Overdrive/Fuzz:
• Mythical Overdrive ("always on" gritty tone shaper)
• AM Sun Face (Ge, low gain; light texturing)
• Lovepedal Super Sic Tone (nasty, cutting fuzz)

Multicellular

What 7 ambient noise pedals & 3 overdrive, distortion, or fuzz would be on your board & Why?
This is fun. While I don't do what is usually called 'ambient' music, I use a lot of the same effects (doubling lots of synth sounds with the guitar for one)

7 ambient noise pedals
  1. Zoom CDR - 1 pedal that could really be a while ambient board
  2. WMD Geiger Counter - wave table re-synthesis
  3. Dwarfcraft Gears - octave divider --- madness! add expression pedal for more madness*
  4. Subdecay Prometheus - bring the fire, slow moderate depth oscillations with this are great for ambient
  5. Red Panda Particle - granular resynthesis
  6. Boss DD-500 - any and all delays known to humankind and warp, twist and hold toggles for momentary noise
  7. Catalinbread Pareidolia (RIP to that dude) - no one knows even what to call this
Or forget half of these and get a Boss SY-300

3 overdrive or fuzz
  1. Moog Minifooooger Drive - Good low to high versatile drive..add an expression pedal and it mixes with your ambientness in new ways.
  2. Fuzz Factory - all sane and insane shades of fuzz
  3. Mad Professor Simble - mild drive, can double as boost

*Just get a Mission Engineering Expressionator and use one expression pedal for 3 pedals = win

The Ibanez Echo Shifter (ES-2) has a switch that can leave a low oscillation going, then you can play over it.

BOSS Tera Echo (TE-2) has a hold feature (like an EHX Freeze) that you can then play over - with the synth like echo repeats.

Both can be found in the $150 range - so not too expensive, and a lot of fun.

lavinci

Silver Supporting Member
This is fun. While I don't do what is usually called 'ambient' music, I use a lot of the same effects (doubling lots of synth sounds with the guitar for one)

7 ambient noise pedals
  1. Zoom CDR - 1 pedal that could really be a while ambient board
  2. WMD Geiger Counter - wave table re-synthesis
  3. Dwarfcraft Gears - octave divider --- madness! add expression pedal for more madness*
  4. Subdecay Prometheus - bring the fire, slow moderate depth oscillations with this are great for ambient
  5. Red Panda Particle - granular resynthesis
  6. Boss DD-500 - any and all delays known to humankind and warp, twist and hold toggles for momentary noise
  7. Catalinbread Pareidolia (RIP to that dude) - no one knows even what to call this
@Multicellular
How do like the WMD GC?
How do you use it?
What are some f your favorite pedal stacks?

Multicellular

@Multicellular
How do like the WMD GC?
How do you use it?
What are some f your favorite pedal stacks?
I only had the Civilian Issue. I don't have it now. It got replaced by the SY300's saw waves, bit crushing, and noise parameters. But a big dude like the SY-300 (that you gotta reasonably hook up to the computer to get the full use of, isn't for everyone.

Here is a track I did. A more sinister cover of a Lorde tune (pop singer) ha! I played all the instruments so the drums are kinda weak, a friend sang lead. On the chorus - 'but we'll never be Royals' - you can definitely heard the Geiger Counter CI. There is another mroe common distortion there too. But you'll recognize the digitally Geiger Counter sound.
http://www.multicellularmusic.com/1/Royals.mp3

You can also hear some clips in my demo here
see 4:18 and

at 13:50 stacking it with the Prometheus and a reverb

ummohyeah

Oh we get to play a game! Let's say I had to stick to this and money/pedalboard space was no issue.

7 Noise Pedals:
EarthQuaker Afterneath (Slowdive in a box/dramamine + absinthe)
TC Electronic Triple Delay (3 delays, infinite repeats, trails, 7 second delay time)
Red Panda Particle (see below)
Red Panda Context (see above)
Dr. Scientist Cosmichorus (ask a Canadian)
Industrialectric RM-1N (reverb amp in a box)
Endangered Audio Research AD4096 (beautiful 4096 analog delay with clock noise galore and controllable oscillation at your fingertips)

3 Dirt Pedals:
Wren and Cuff White Elk (nothing more crushing)
Smallsound/bigsound Mini (for broken amp sounds)
Fairfield Circuitry Four Eyes (three fuzz circuit EQ, filter on board)

AND Basinski has been mentioned on TGP. I can now die happy.
How serendipitous that I should stumble across this, right after I spent a weekend listening to him after being inspired by the infinite repeats of the TC Electronic Triple Delay.

Smallsound/Bigsound **** OD. Has crackle that can be set to a threshold and is dynamically controllable. Inspired by William Basinski's Disintegration loops which is probably THE noisy ambient album
Thanks Ev. You just made my next dirt pedal purchase for me. I have the Mini and a White Elk and needed something else. The Four Eyes and the Noel fuzz were on my list but I'm gonna gravitate back to the idea of a Fvck Overdrive. Have you ever stacked it with a Mini? I am just worried it may be too redundant and not expand my sonic palette as much as I wanted.

Last edited:

Ev O)))

How serendipitous that I should stumble across this, right after I spent a weekend listening to him after being inspired by the infinite repeats of the TC Electronic Triple Delay.

Thanks Ev. You just made my next dirt pedal purchase for me. I have the Mini and a White Elk and needed something else. The Four Eyes and the Noel fuzz were on my list but I'm gonna gravitate back to the idea of a Fvck Overdrive. Have you ever stacked it with a Mini? I am just worried it may be too redundant and not expand my sonic palette as much as I wanted.
Those records are my yoga music. I love them so much.

So yeah, they stack really, really great to be honest. Mini is more coloured on account of the expanded EQ and definitey gets "saggier" due to the bias control. Higher gain on the FvCK has a bit of a sharper character too. The live together extraordinarily well.
That crackle though. I love it. Especially when you set the threshold so tht it crackles on just the loudest dynamic pedaks and ut it at the end of your chain, so like the attack of the firt repeat gets crackly but not much else, or just when you really dig in. Gorgeous sound.

Also, if you have an Endangered Audio delay and RM-1N, I suggest putting the FvCK after them. I have an RM-1N nd it excells before all SS/BS dirt.

Squatch57

Just sticking to pedals I have in my stash

7 noise pedals:
TC HOF
Eventide Timefactor
HBE Mimic II
Cusack Tap-A-Phase
Subdecay Prometheus
Minifooger Ring
Mooer Tender Octaver

3 dirt pedals:
MI Blue Boy Deluxe
HBE UFO
Klinger MkII Tonebender

shikawkee

The One True King
This may be over your quotient when you add the amp top rig but this is what I use and it covers just about everything for me. I can add/subtract in either of the fuzz positions (usually adding a Trombetta or Monsterpiece) but otherwise this is it. I probably will add the Chase Bliss delay when it's out because I've been waiting on that for some time:

Trending Topics