Ambient Players: Octave Pedal AND Shimmer Reverb?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by playguitar6789, Mar 18, 2015.

1. playguitar6789

playguitar6789 Supporting Member

Currently, I'm using a Neunaber Stereo State v2 with the shimmer setting for guitar swells with a long delay (Timeline) and my volume pedal. I have an extra slot on my board and I'm wondering: is it redundant to have both shimmer and an octave pedal on my board? Are there players out there that use both shimmer and an octave pedal for swells?

I'm thinking about picking up an EHX Pitch Fork because it seems pretty versatile. Then again, I also have the ice setting on the Timeline...

Thoughts?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  2. jimbugg

jimbugg Supporting Member

Not redundant at all. They do different things. Shimmer verb adds in octaves to the trails of your reverb repeats, whereas something like a POG or Pitchfork adds octave to your actual signal. Different ways to use octaves on your board, but neither one can replace the other. I love using a Micro POG to get a huge driven sound for big octave stabs and single-note lines. Blending in a sub-octave can give any part some huge balls.

3. Nevil Bamshoot

Nevil Bamshoot Member

I don't think you are nearing redundancy with such a set-up. I have been recently enjoying the new Digitech 12-string pedal, and I use that at times with a the Digitech EX7 on either the Whammy or Space Station settings, and I use all of that at times with shimmering & modulated reverbs & delays. there's something great about strumming big wall of noise chords with long decay times and lots of undulating frequencies crashing into each other, then smearing them around with the tremolo bar. but yeah, I like to have several different kinds of octave & pitch shifting effects at hand.

4. Jason

Jason Member

No, you're not the only one!
    Original Whammy with a Blue Sky/Timeline combination plus various drives and fuzzes to corrupt the signal... Sounds great!

5. Onemileguy

Onemileguy Member

I also use various combos of pitch shifting into a +1 oct shimmer reverb or -1oct. different textures however you get there are important. I also really like using an intelligent pitch shifter

6. jordane93

jordane93 Member

I use a Hardwire Supernatural on shimmer mode and a MicroPog. Together they sound great

7. DisasterArea

DisasterArea Owner, Disaster Area Designs and Alexander Pedals

Walrus Descent has octave up + down feeding into a shimmer reverb (among other things.) Shimmer only adds octaves on the reverb trail, so an octave on the front end is a cool addition.

8. thkh

thkh Member

Not at all. We have a song where I do a swell in the intro. I stack POG2 > Memory Lane Jr > Flint (80s) > Timeline (Shimmer) It sounds massive.

9. playguitar6789

playguitar6789 Supporting Member

Thanks for all the responses! I think I'll go ahead and pick up a Pitch Fork soon. I was thinking about waiting for the Nano POG that's supposed to be out soon, but I don't really see it doing much more than the PF...maybe a more simplified design and better control over octave mixes, but that's about it?

10. Delayed Delay

Delayed Delay Member

I've got my Stereo Wet set up for shimmer reverb, and I've got a Micro Pog as well... not redundant at all.