Ambient/post-rock/shoegazers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by eisrael37, Jan 28, 2012.

1. eisrael37

eisrael37 Member

I'm looking for another good mid range amp. I'm running a strat through a Traynor YCW20WR right now, which is about 20-25 watts. I can keep up with the rest of the band (quite loud, drums, bass, other guitar) but at the cost of good clean headroom. im pretty much almost dimed-8 or 9 along with dimed guitar volume for anything.

Any suggestions on an amp in the 4-6 hundred dollar range (used is okay) that is around 40 watts, has great cleans, and takes fuzz and delays well? No need for awesome amp dirt.

Thanks in advance

2. TChen

TChen Member

find a vintage traynor. hand-wired, built like tanks, BEST transformers ever made, take pedals amazingly. ive had a yba-4 bassmaster, ygm-3, and ysr-1 custom reverb. they're all awesome, but if you want a more midrangey amp, find a bassmaster. you can usually find the yba-1 bassmaster heads on ebay or craigslist for $350-$600. actually i think someone has a good deal on a modded traynor in the emporium right now.

fwiw, i love shoegaze... check out the band, fleeting joys... that dude uses a bassmaster.

3. BillyDW

BillyDW Member

What about a Fender Deville 410?
    I played post-rock with one for years and it was great. I never used anything but the clean channel, turned up about half way it sounds great with a slight breakup.
    They can be had cheap...not the most reliable amp though.

4. crimson on pink

crimson on pink Supporting Member

Silverface bassman, any of the 2 power tube sunns, the traynor is another great idea.

5. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Member

A different way to go: get an extention cab for your traynor. Instant volume and headroom boost.

6. theroan

theroan Member

I'm using an Egnater Rebel 30, it really fits the bill.

7. Prerequisite

Prerequisite Member

You can probably land a used Twin Reverb for less than 800 bucks. Incredibly loud with enough headroom to smash windows before breakup.

8. eisrael37

eisrael37 Member

I've always been under the impression that adding an extension cab doesn't really add volume, but just more evenly distribute the volume that's already there. Have I been completely misinformed?

Good suggestions, guys. Keep them coming please.

9. 72Telecaster

72Telecaster Silver Supporting Member

I used a YCV40T for a few years in the ambient rock band I was in (link in sig.). It worked well; I liked the cleans with the volume around 5...slight edge of breakup but still clean, and took pedals nicely. I'd check out the 40 or even the 80 if you want a big amp...especially if you dig the Traynor vibe. Otherwise a Bassman or Bandmaster head.

FWIW I had a YCV20 too for a while, but experienced the same dilemma...just not enough clean headroom there.

10. Onioner

Onioner Member

That's more or less my experience.

11. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Member

I believe that rule of thumb is that you need 10 times the wattage to double your volume, given that you are using the same speaker or cab. Doubling your speaker surface area will get you the needed volume boost a lot sooner.
    I think that there are a few major threads on this but i can't find them while i'm on my phone.

12. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

Your impression is confirmed by my experience(s)

Fender HRD would be pretty nice. You can find 'em cheap ($400) too.

13. Ugh

Ugh Supporting Member

Blackface or early silverface bassman. If you don't mind going solid state, Sunn concert or beta leads are cool, as are 70's Acoustic amps (don't know about the newer ones). I just picked up a early 70s Acoustic 150 head for $200. Plenty of volume, cool clean sound, and takes pedals great.

14. smalltownsongs

smalltownsongs Supporting Member

This.
    Friends pushed me this way and I'm so glad they did. I picked up a 70's YGM-3 under $500 complete with all original Hammond Iron and Phillps-labelled Mullards all around. (Craigslist is your friend, $300-$500 depending on condition) Tried a G12H30, as the original Marsland speakers are known to be shite, but prefer it with a Celestion Blue to help bring the EL84's a little Voxier chime outta this thing. Keeps up with the band just nicely, and remains mostly clean the whole way up. Excellent pedal platform, and the Bright switch brings instant smiles. Oh, did I mention Reverb and Tremolo too? Only downfall: Looks like a rejected droid. Oh well, I'm sure everyone in the band is gorgeous too, right? :rotflmao

15. eisrael37

eisrael37 Member

I think that I may stick with Traynor. I saw an old ad on my craigslist for a ycv40t for 325 used. So I'll definitely be keeping an eye out. Especially if a WR series is on the block. Thanks, everybody

16. freaksho

freaksho Member

i don't know Traynor personally but have heard many good things. i would definitely try one if it were me, fwiw. also the Sovtek Mig 60 is an inexpensive take on the Fender Bassman iirc. this one i have heard in person and it's another good budget option, with a little more power than the Traynors even.

17. Miles

Miles Member

Don't forget about the YBA-1, the king **** of f*** mountain!

I love mine!