Ambient/Textural/Atmospheric Performances Thread

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by todd richman, Feb 21, 2012.

1. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

2. halcyon85

halcyon85 Member

I'd like to see this thread take off.

Here's one of my favorites.

3. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Thanks for the video-that is gorgeous. I love how ambient/textural music evolves over time and evokes so many musical emotions and atmospheres.

4. Snare227

Snare227 Vendor

I'm not usually into this type of stuff... but this is interesting.

5. halcyon85

halcyon85 Member

No problem! I agree. :)

Can't have a thread about ambient/textural performances and not mention Lowercase Noises. :aok

Dunno who this guy is, or if he's on TGP, but I like his vids.

Wish I could remember some more. That's what I get for not clicking the like button.

6. starjag

starjag Member

What is the basic equipment for this type of music performance?

7. LarryN

LarryN Member

A good delay pedal will do the job. I used an old Ibanez 2 second digital for awhile.

8. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

Most anything by Eno. One of the true musical geniuses of our time--actually, I just think he is a genius, period.

I really like "Apollo" by Eno and Lanois. Great record.

9. dr.morton

dr.morton Member

David Sylvian also recorded some nice stuff.

10. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

huh.
    sorry that you didn't attend our "apollo project" performance at the winter garden/world financial center,
    in january, mike;
    we performed all of apollo:
    caleb burhans, grey mcmurray, larry campbell, mike gordon, jeff parker, reveller & myself.
    2000 (non-TGP) humans showed up; it was very enjoyable.

11. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

I'm sorry I didn't attend. Somehow I didn't hear about this event.

12. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

David, I remember reading about it a month before it happened, but then completely forgot about it. I was really disappointed in myself for that. Still kicking myself....

13. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

Some favorites.. not perhaps the typical stuff but a twist on it I like..

14. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

Need to add this Fennesz plays guitar through electronics and Sakamoto plays piano.

15. Julia343

Julia343 Member

I did this one a while back. I'm on guitars and keys and did the drum programming. I'm working on a more atmospheric one to follow this.

[SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/julia-6/countdown[/SOUNDCLOUD]

16. freedom's door

freedom's door Supporting Member

17. Brian D

Brian D Member

Love this thread -- keep 'em coming! I don't have any clips to add at the moment, but I'm enjoying the ones that have been posted.

I don't remember when I first started to appreciate "ambient" music, but it was probably back in my "experimental" college days. Of course, back then the closest that I came was probably something like Blue Powder by Steve Vai.

I recently started to appreciate ambient music again when I was still in school in 2009. While doing homework on the computer, I would often tune in to one of the many ambient stations on iTunes. It was the perfect background music.

Since then, I've contemplated trying to create my own ambient music. I'm basically a bedroom player with the necessary equipment (and I enjoy the musical form), so it seems like a logical way to go.

And finally, a relevant story: A few years back I went with my best friend to see Prezens at the Walker Art Center in Minneapolis. I suspect that Mr. Torn would resist classifying his music as any one thing or another, but the performance could probably be considered "ambient" if you wanted to use a liberal definition. Regardless, I had a unique experience. I quit smoking pot almost 15 years ago, but as I was walking out of the auditorium I felt stoned! Like seriously, genuinely, stoned. As I was contemplating this effect, my friend -- who didn't smoke as much "back in the day" and had been away from it for longer than I have -- turned to me and said, "I feel like I'm stoned". And we definitely were not exposed to any second-hand smoke, for the record.

The fact that a musical performance could have that effect on two completely sober individuals was quite intriguing to me. I haven't experienced anything like it before or since!

18. Bigsby

Bigsby Member

I love Daniel Lanois' record, 'Belladonna.' I was going through a rough breakup when it came out, and it, along with 'In Rainbows,' both listened to in headphones over and over, really helped.