AmDlx locking tuners---replace with vintage style---Anyone?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jazzrat, Feb 27, 2012.

1. jazzrat

jazzrat Member

I generally prefer the weight and look of vintage tuners.
    I'm considering putting some on my AmDlx. strat.
    I can tell right away that the washers on top are way bigger so the footprint
    of those might show after the install.
    Anyone done this?
    thanks

2. moosewayne

moosewayne Member

Check if Schaller makes a vintage style tuner.

3. John C

John C Supporting Member

There are a few things that make installing vintage tuners on a headstock drilled for modern tuners a bit more difficult. Modern tuners have (as you have noticed) a larger post and require a larger hole in the headstock and have the large hex bolt and washer that hold the tuner in from the top of the headstock. Vintage tuners have a separate metal bushing that is pushed into the hole from the top of the headstock and are held in place only by the screws on the back of the headstock - and a smaller hole is drilled in the headstock for the tuners.

However, there are conversion bushings available that essentially fill up the larger hole drilled for modern tuners; they don't come with the vintage tuners but they are available at places like Stew-Mac, etc. You would just need the ones that fit the holes on the neck of your Strat:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/...s.html?actn=100101&xst=1&xsr=0648&tgtiid=3456

I also believe that the vintage tuners should cover the guide holes drilled on the back of the headstock for the Fender/Schaller locking tuners, but you will of course have to drill new holes for the retaining screws on the vintage tuners. I've never done this but I have seen photos and I believe that is the case. Worst-case scenario is some small "dimple" holes for the Fender/Schaller tuners' guide pins might be visible.

4. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

you might be better off selling the neck and replacing the whole thing... maybe