American Deluxe Strat neck question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ggwwbb, Dec 18, 2009.

1. ggwwbb

ggwwbb Member

I'm going to look at one tomorrow to possibly do a little trading with a guy. What is the neck like on these, size-wise? The one I'm going to look at is a maple board one.

2. dazco

dazco Member

Just my opinion, but i hated the neck so much it was a big part of why i sold mine. They are ultra thin and the shape was just felt all wrong IMO. But again, there are some who like them so you could be one of them. I suspect you will get some more opinions like mine tho. But mostly you will get replies from those who have and like them because thats who tend to reply to "how good is _____" questions.

3. ggwwbb

ggwwbb Member

I want the good with the bad, so I appreciate it dazco. I was hoping someone would say that they are nice & thick, but what you are saying is kind of what I was expecting. I'm going to give it a try no matter, who knows, it may end up being comfortable to me. Thanks, daz.

4. GASattack

GASattack Member

well, I have 2 american strat deluxe's, and they both have different necks ... one is the "v" shape, the other is a nice semi-chuncky 'c' shape ... hate the 'V', love the 'C' ...

5. ggwwbb

ggwwbb Member

The one I'm looking at I'm pretty sure has the 'c'. I like "semi-chunky"!

6. speedtaco

speedtaco Member

Yeah, my Deluxe has a semi-chunky neck, don't know what Dazco is talking about. It's almost too thick for me. They are great guitars, plug it in and see how it sounds.

7. strat6866

strat6866 Member

My experience too. I had an older one with a very thin V and sold it. My current one has a slightly chunky C. Very nice neck!

8. ducatisteve

ducatisteve Member

I had a 99 American Deluxe that had an extremely comfortable slightly-chunky C. Almost felt like a normal medium C with a little more shoulder to fill the hand a little. Felt great with the rolled edges. If anything, you know you'll have a good looking neck with the abalone dots and silver decal.

9. pedal2

pedal2 Member

As far as I know the current one is the same as the standard. My 06 measures about .85". Slightly thin for my tastes but very comfortable.