American Deluxe Tele - less expensive alternative?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rolsen, Feb 9, 2015.

1. rolsen

rolsen Member

I've got a cheapo used Squier CV 50's tele in my arsenal but have lusted for a 'nice' tele. The Squier's playability is less than my other nicer guitars. The American Deluxe is so lustsorthy but I thought I'd ask if there is a tele very much like it but not $1700 new (expensive used, too!). I'm no tele snob so not too worried about tradition. I liked the smooth 6 saddle bridge, the compound radius neck (not a must have, but I liked it!).. Would something like a Baja get me into fine tele-land? What should I look for that doesn't need upgrades, like pickups, switches, tuners etc?

2. airportbar

airportbar Member

G&L ASAT Classic, but with the Alnico pickups. You can find them new for around $1000-1200.

3. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

2nd on the Reverend.

4. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

Fender Chris Shiflett Telecaster Deluxe. A heap of value.

5. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Look for early to mid 90's MIJ Teles. I have a Foto Flame Fender and a Fernandes Thinline (both made in the same factory if lore is correct) and both fantastic guitars and should easily run < $500. Protone Squiers from around that period are great as well.

6. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Used G&L ASAT. Better than equivalent Fenders (imho) for less money.

7. rummy

rummy Member

Find yourself an MIJ Tele.

8. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

Just watch the emporium here... you'll find one in no time. And for a lot less than 1700! :D

9. rolsen

rolsen Member

Hmmm, that Reverend looks interesting, might be tougher to find used though (forgot to emphasize that in my post - probably look for used but I could be persuaded!)

10. Turi

Turi Member

Have you tried a MIM Fender Tele?

I compared a MIM Fender Tele to a Squier CV Strat - I know, not the same thing, but I could immediately tell the MIM Tele shat all over the CV.

If the CV Tele has the same finish as the CV Strat, there's just no way in hell I could bond with that. Thick, sticky poly crap.

Seriously, check out a MIM Fender Tele - they always look pretty cool, and although the neck does have some gloss, it's very minimal and they feel very smooth to play.

Not some special version or anything, just a straight up MIM Fender Telecaster.

They own, and they'll put that CV to shame (assuming it feels like the CV Strat).

I'm pretty much positive both CV Strats and Teles have the same finish on them - absolute shite.

11. Beakertwang

Beakertwang Supporting Member

+1 on the Eastsider. There are two used ones on reverb.com.

12. rolsen

rolsen Member

Oh, yes yes.. Glossy sticky necks are bad news and my cheapo CV 50's is glossy and sticky once body temp rises. So, prefer non gloss necks.

13. jpervin

jpervin Member

Build it yourself. That way, you get a Tele to your specs for a lot less than $1700. And it's a heckuva lot of fun! YMMV

14. hhawkins

hhawkins Member

I used to have am American deluxe tele in montego black. Felt amazing and sounded good but while it was a great guitar it just sounded a bit sterile... Even though it sounded good, if that makes any sense.

15. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Hmm.

Could you describe in detail what aspects of the playability of the Squier CV don't work for you?

The reason I ask is, the whole idea of the American Deluxe is that it seem expensive and exclusive and all that. As an actual musical instrument it isn't all that, in my opinion.

16. jklotz

jklotz Supporting Member

I've got a thin line amer deluxe. Love that guitar! The finish is as beautiful as any I've seen on a fender guitar. Hardware, fit and finish are quite good. The compound radi neck is really great (a little thin for my tastes, but a really nice implementation none the less. I just prefer fat necks) Locking tuners, strap locks, s1, etc, etc. What's not to like? Every time play out with it, I get compliments on how good it looks.

My biggest complaint is I didn't care for the noiseless N3 pickups, which I replaced. Then again, I've yet to hear a noiseless tele pickup that I did like.

All that being said, if that's the guitar you want, save up and get it. You won't be happy until you do. But don't pay the asking price, for God's sake. If you just call and ask, MF, GC, etc will give you 15% right off the bat. 20% seems fairly obtainable - I see coupons for those sales all the time. Isn't presidents day a big time for sales?

17. rolsen

rolsen Member

Sure thing - I feel I'm exerting more effort to chord along the neck, sprinkle in leads and bending strings than I should be (I play 10's on all my guitars). The neck seems sticky, providing even greater resistance to playing. Function of high gloss? The traditional bridge's height adjustment screw rods stick up a bit from the barrels, grinding the palm-mute part of my right hand to bits - this is after setup by one of Tacoma's most renowned techs/luthiers (he wasn't super impressed with this guitar). I have a Warmoth Jazzmaster with a beefy asymmetrical neck (for easier 'thumbing' style) and compound radius fingerboard and a Les Paul Standard - the Squier is the toughest to play. I do love the chirp of those alnico pickups in the CV 50's, though. It makes for a good gig back up guitar, and I have been able to record some tele-tones I wouldn't have been able to otherwise, all for $250 used.

I've played other teles next to new CV Squiers at the store and I didn't fall in love with all of them. The more satin-y the neck, the better for me it seems. I was gravitating towards the nicer American ones as I picked up one tele after another but there was an MIM or two in there I liked. I didn't like the most-jumbo frets of the lot I recall, so there is another preference. I would tend towards the low profile modern 6 saddle bridges as that is what I'm familiar and comfortable with and don't care about tradition. I will admit if I had to choose one fretboard material for life it would be rosewood, but I did bond with some maple fretboards, particularly the obscenely expensive (for a tele it seems) American Deluxe Tele. That Deluxe just did it for me, and I've been doing the GAS math/justification game ever since. So, I guess I like Deluxes, whatever it is about them. I'm a rock/alt-rock guy looking for tele flavor, so it doesn't have to be ultra-nashville, country or whatever.

18. Turi

Turi Member

Get a Squier Affinity then.

No gloss at all on the neck, it's satin or something, it's totally non-glossed, plays like an absolute dream.

The pickups aren't as full-sounding as it's Fender branded counterparts, but it still sounds good.
    Can always drop new pickups in it later on down the line anyway.

Seriously for non-gloss you HAVE to try an Affinity. The necks on those are just gorgeous.

19. daveyank

daveyank Member

Another vote for Reverend Eastsider T. Got one a few weeks ago. Best bang for buck, and better playing/sounding than any other Telecaster that I've owned. Compound radius is so nice and the chambered body is cool, too. Great guitar.

20. autologic

autologic Member

I hate to change the subject, but do most people not sand the necks on their guitars? That's like... the very first thing I do when I get a new guitar. Besides my Epiphone worn SG, I have done it to every guitar I've owned. Of course, they have all been cheapos, but still.