American Deluxe Tele Opinions

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Deadduck, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Deadduck

Deadduck Member

Hey all,

Considering the purchase of a new US made Tele. I played a sunburst American Deluxe Tele at a local music store yesterday. It's last year's model. Like this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-american-deluxe-telecaster-electric-guitar

It's obviously not a vintage spec guitar. But I really like the neck and the S1 switching was cool. It has the Noiseless 3 pickups in it. Never have really been a noiseless fan but these sounded pretty good through a deluxe reverb.

I play modern praise and worship, and classic/roots rock. Not much pure country, but some modern country. What is everyone's opinions on this guitar? I can get a pretty good deal on it because they are making room for the new model of it.

2. moosewayne

moosewayne Supporting Member

The Am Dlx Tele is the guitar that got me back into gear.
    You'll find that legions of TGPers will rush to say bad things about the N3s, but I don't have a problem with them.
    Even if you do, a pickup swap is easy enough once you decide what you want.

I think the Am Dlx Tele and the Clapton Strat are the two best offerings Fender has.

Deadduck likes this.
  3. zeffbeff

zeffbeff Member

At absolute worst, it's a great foundation. If you tire of the modern electronics, it's a breeze to toss in a vintage spec setup.

Deadduck likes this.
  4. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

Nice guitar, but I personally never thought it was worth the upcharge over the Standard or even one of the American Specials. I'm probably more of an old-school Tele guy, though. I like three-barrel saddles, 'ashtray' bridges, and noisy singlecoils.

Deadduck likes this.
  5. Deadduck

Deadduck Member

I can get it for their cost. Less than an American Standard. Pretty tempting...

6. moosewayne

moosewayne Supporting Member

Dealer cost?
    That's a no-brainer.

Deadduck likes this.
  7. Kzin

Kzin Member

I have dlx ash tele. Plays great, sustains for days. I also have a suhr tele with the ashtray bridge. The suhr sounds like a tele to me, even unplugged its very apparent. The suhr has sort of a hollow sound, with more bite as well ( im not very good putting these things to words), more twang maybe?
    The fender sounds more generic to me, with a more solid, beefier sound. Check out some of the clips with greg koch playing his dlx ash (that live show at the troll something or his copenhagen clinic), even though he has changed the pickups the fundamentals of the guitar tone is still there.

I wish suhr would have went with a 10-14 radius on their pros, thats the only thing i would change.

8. phel21

phel21 Member

I prefer the modern ergonomics of the dlx, and now elite, over the traditional tele. The weak point of the dlx is the N3 pickups. The N4s in the new elite-series is the first noiseless from Fender that may pass as vintage-style. Older noiseless models, not so much. They make the tele sound more like a strat.

9. mikebat

mikebat Member

I agree with the ergonomics comment. Fretboard radius, beveled heel joint. The bellycut I can do without but...I could live with it too.

Bound Tele's are a soft spot for me. Especially in solid colors.

At that price, go for it.

Deadduck likes this.
  10. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

if you don't like it, just sell it on here, reverb, or ebay. should be able to get your money back with no problem. resale on those things is great--provided you don't pay new prices.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    Deadduck likes this.
  11. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

I would jump on it. What's the worst that could happen? While I personally do not like the noiseless, it is handy to have in an IEM/P&W setting, especially with the S1. I say go for it.

Deadduck likes this.
  12. drive-south

drive-south Member

I love mine. The compound radius neck alone is worth the upcharge.

13. wannabeatle

wannabeatle Supporting Member

Love the neck on mine. Great playing guitar. The S1 switch makes an already ridiculously versatile instrument even more versatile. You could do a lot worse for the genres you mentioned.

14. Laganlad

Laganlad Supporting Member

It's a great playing guitar and pretty versatile but I'm planning on replacing the pups in mine.

15. Deadduck

Deadduck Member

I agree. Put it on layaway today. It sounds and plays great and I didn't figure I could go wrong with the deal. This was at a locally owned guitar store, btw, not a big box chain store.