American Double Fat Strat opinions please?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by padavis, Jun 26, 2008.

1. padavis

padavis Supporting Member

Hey,
    I have been intrigued by these beasts for a long time and I finally pulled the trigger on one. I was wanting a Strat Plus but I decided to let that dream die and just play my pops and hope one day he loses his sense and lets me buy it off of him... we'll see...
    Anyways, besides the fact that a Double Fat Strat will not be a Les Paul or PRS in anyway shape, form, sound, feel, what are your thoughts on the Double Fat Strat? What pickups have been good for yours? Any thoughts in general would be awesome. Dont worry about hurting my feelings as soon as I get it and if it blows its on the chopping block haha! And if youve had one and it blew I want to hear about it!

2. strat6866

strat6866 Member

I have one and like it alot as my "humbucker" guitar. I have tried LPs and dont get along with them. I have a PRS McCarty that I like and find the pups to be pretty comparable to my double fat strat but.....i just like the feel of a strat better so the McCarty will go and the Strat will stay.
    I also own 2 strat pluses and the double fat is a different animal altogether. Both are good at what they do.

3. padavis

Yea, thats the thing I am having trouble with. I love the LP tone but cant get with how they feel. I like PRS but this is a backup haha so I cant spend those big bucks again for awhile...

4. padavis

Does anyone know what pickups were being put in these in 2004?

5. John C

John C Supporting Member

By 2004 they were humbuckers wound by Fender - they used some pseudo-cutsey "snake" names for them but I can't recall which was which although the name "Cobra" for one (probably the bridge pickup) sticks out in my mind. It wasn't the "Sidewinder" which was the bridge pickup in the HSS model and is still in the current "American Standard HSS" model. All HH models with Fender pickups also have the S-1 switching.

The earlier versions - the Big Apple Strat (circa 1996-July 2000) and the American Series Double Fat Strat (July 2000-July 2003) used a Duncan '59 pickup in the neck and a Duncan Pearly Gates + in the bridge.

6. padavis

Exactly what I needed to know John thanks a LOT!!!

7. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

I had a Big Apple it was a much livier instrument than the Double Fats, the name now kills it and the Lonestar. Which are pretty much is the same guitar but the older ones have the Duncan upgrades and you can get them cheaper on the used market than the newer ones from what I seen

8. padavis

Those Big Apple strats are what I really was after but the one I got still has the tags and looks pristine... haha I'll find out soon enough if it is a beast or not. I am thinking if I don't like the pickups but like the feel, I will probably get some non-Fender hums for it.

9. padavis

Well fellers... I got my Double Fat Strat. Its a 2004 but its got a Seymour at the bridge so I am not sure if I got one that slipped through with the S1 and the Seymours or what but its a killer guitar and it has a killer humbucker sound. For now I am really happy but some of you might know how that goes... thanks again for all your help.

10. strat6866

strat6866 Member

Congrats! Hope you enjoy it.