American Idol -question

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by squeally dan, Feb 27, 2009.

1. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I have a question about the American Idol results show (the 2nd night). They seem to always begin the results show with the most cheesy group performance you could ever imagine. It makes me want to gag. They have been doing it this way for the past few years and theyare still bad. Why do they even do it, and why can't they work something up in a week's time that would be at least slightly entertaining?

2. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I haven't watched that show in a few years, but if I remember isn't that segment sort of like a commercial for various products?

3. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

They sometimes do the commercial thing but that isn't the same. This is just a live performance that really blows everytime. It usually sounds like a dozen people singing in unison with awful dance moves added in.

4. guitgator

guitgator Member

it alwasy sounds so cheesy because:

1) there are still some really hokey singers left in the group and nothing they sing could sound cool...

2) the keys are never good because males and females ranges are a half-octave apart (testosterone being the culprit here)...so either the chicks are singing too low (usually the case) or the guys are singing too high for their ranges.

3) people who produce tv shows are really "white".....look at the guest artists they choose every year....Barry Manilow, Elton John, Neil Diamond etc. To hollywood producers these people represent "hip"......

5. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon

They've been doing is since the beginning. They are just trying to cater to their bread and butter fans. I usually watch a results show in about 3 mins with the DVR.

6. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

The glory of DVR, I do the same thing.

7. plexistack

plexistack Member

Because the people watching American Idol are the same ones who used to go to the Ice Capades.

8. jay42

jay42 Member

Remember the Chevy Chase skits about Very White? "Oh baby....I love myself, so very very much...."

9. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

There can't be anything more painful than watching one of those results show with a DVR. I watched last night's in less than 10 minutes. That was perfect.

Those group songs are just time killers between commercials.

10. jay42

jay42 Member

I'm guessing you mean 'without' a DVR.

11. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub

Those group numbers are awful. Good lesson for the combatants in selling out to get what you want!

GAD

12. Vegas Bob

Vegas Bob Supporting Member

Should be called "American Idle"

13. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

:confused: Not sure what "white" has to do with anything. :messedup

I agree with your #1 and #2. I think its also a factor of having to squeeze in something that doesn't require a lot of rehearsal.

14. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

A lot of those kids really are gifted, outstanding singers. It's just too bad the way they have to be packaged and sweetened to the extent they are to make them palatable and entertaining to the "average listener". There's also a "sameness" to so many of them...same inflections, same tendency to do runs or triplets, same hip hop influenced hand gestures, same, same, same. But, that's pop music and that's what brings in the big bucks. And, make no mistake...THAT is the bottom line. My 2 cents.

Tom

15. B Vance

B Vance Member

I enjoy watching the show for the house band. I have been extremely disappointed that they have been hidden this whole time. I have also been disappointed in the quality of the contestants this year. I know they're trying to make a TV show and not necessarily searching for the best singers, but at least fake it for us. Some of the top 36 wouldn't even win Phi Beta Kappa's annual Karaoke Contest Party at fill-in-the-blank college/university.

16. TopDog

TopDog "jumping the valence" Silver Supporting Member

The band is recorded. They are singing to backing tracks. That sucks IMO....

:RoCkIn

17. Solomon

Solomon Member

My favorite part of the show is the Solid Gold Dancers.

18. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Is it the same band as last year? I haven't seem them show the band once. It sounds like karaoke backing tracks.

19. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Member

You are all now officially intellectually DEAD. I cannot believe anyone even remotely associated with "music" (presuming anyone on the Gear Page...oh nevermind; that's too wild a presumption) would watch this phony crap.
    Have seen the bumpersticker from years back that said, "KILL YOUR TELEVISION"? It has never been so relevant.

20. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

I humbly apologize and bow down to your intellectual superiority, oh great one.