American Series Strat. Explain why I prefer this neck over others?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by AnsonDrubner1, Oct 6, 2008.

1. AnsonDrubner1

AnsonDrubner1 Member

Let me preface this by saying that I'm not much of a gear-head, so forgive my ignorance.

I have two Strats. One is an American Series from a few years ago. My more recent purchase was a new American Standard Strat.

While both are great guitars, the new American Standard's neck feels much nicer to me than the older American Series one. It's almost smoother and faster feeling (while the other feels somewhat slower and sticky, for lack of a better word).

Can anyone explain why this is the case? Did Fender start doing something differently to the necks of the new American Standards?

2. John C

John C Supporting Member

You didn't specifiy fingerboard, but the new American Standards with maple boards have a gloss finish on the fingerboard portion and a satin finish on the back.

Also, the new ones are slightly narrower at the nut (New Am Std - 1.685" vs American Series/Old Am Std 1.6875") and I believe they have a slightly different shape.

I've never been a huge fan of the American Series neck shape, but the few new Am Std Strats I've picked up have felt better to me. Just for reference I normally prefer a 1.625" wide neck like my EBMM Silhouette Special or a 1.650" wide Fender reissue neck over the "modern" Fender necks.

3. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Has your Am Se always made you feel this way?

Put the search engine here to work. Folks have all kinds of remedies for getting grabby poly necks to speed up. One remedy for every possible cause of that stuck feeling.

I respectfully disagree with John C about any dimensional changes to the Am Standards as compared to the Am Series guitars. Individual guitars will vary slightly.The only constant is that Fender will publish nut width information that is notoriously incorrect, when measured against the product in the shops and elsewhere.

Bubbanov

4. John C

John C Supporting Member

Boris - Good point; I'm just citing what is published by Fender; I never had a chance to measure them. To me the 4-5 new ones just felt more comfortable to me than the earlier ones; it could very well be just "luck of the draw" that the ones I've picked up and handled for more than a couple of strums were indivdually on the smaller side (individual differences) which led me to spend more time with them.

Again; I'm much more a fan of the AV '62 necks than the modern Strats; my EBMM feels like a "modernized" (i.e. 10" radus and medium frets) version of a particular 1998 AV '62 that I should have kept.

5. Anthony M

Anthony M Silver Supporting Member

I did a comparison of an '07 Am series strat vs. '08 Am standard strat, both rosewood fretboards and I agree you, the '08 IMHO just felt easier to play. I tried changing strings, adjust the truss rod and saddles, etc,,, but to me, the '07's neck felt larger and harder to work around, while the '08 was effortless. Some of you prefer larger necks, I don't. However, the '07 did ring like a bell acoustically and plugged in, whereas the '08 does sound great, but the '07 just killed.

This is just a matter of personal taste and my humble opinion, but i did prefer the '08 even though the '07 sounded better. In the end, I ended up selling the '07. It was a matter of picking one. Can't have two of the same.

And I agree with John C, there is a difference between the two. The "Standard" former "Series" has a "Modern" neck profile, where the Series did not.

Good luck

6. BarkingTree

BarkingTree Member

Originally Posted by Boris Bubbanov [​IMG]
    Has your Am Se always made you feel this way?

Put the search engine here to work. Folks have all kinds of remedies for getting grabby poly necks to speed up. One remedy for every possible cause of that stuck feeling.

The New Am Std does not have a grabby poly neck..sir..
    Its satin and fast on the back and glossy and slick on the front
    Its pretty sweet except for the..built up poly in the gap between the
    fretwire and board surface-which I dont like. I like to feel the sides of
    the frets when I play..other than that..
    Not a bad neck..and fast at that.

7. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

Yes, the difference is that you have worn the silky satin finish on the back of the neck to a gloss with playing. A shiny gloss surface will feel a bit on the sticky side, especially if your hands are damp. Just take some fine scotch brite or steel wool to the back of the neck on your old one giving it a satin finish and it will be just as fast and slippery as the new one.

8. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I did this twice, same store, 12 months' apart. Truly "NOS" NOS CS Fenders.

Luckily no one with "the hands of funk" ever touched these nitro necks, and with 14 and 26 months nonuse respectively, these CS nitro necks are super dry, super resistant to gumming and so on. How these withstand contact with the typical store hooks without blemish, I simply don't know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nothing quite like it.

Bubbanov