American Vintage 70's Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jack Dotson, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson Supporting Member

Any of you guys have some time with one of these? This is a reissue of the first Strat I owned many moons ago and I'm considering buying one, but I can't find one locally to try.

Are they pretty close to the originals? How are the pick-up's?

2. cottoneyedjoe

cottoneyedjoe Member

I have an original 1972 and I owned a reissue. They were very similar. However, the necks were totally different in my opinion. My 1972 has the SMALLEST "U" neck I have ever held on a guitar. The reissue is a bit larger but still comfortable.

The pickups in the reissue are great! Lots of quack. I do recommend trying to find one to try before you purchase though. They are all different.

3. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

I've spent a lot of time with them. See my pain here if you're interested.

I *LOVE* the looks of them - especially the black/black model which I understand is now discontinued in favor of white/white.

The ones I've played, totalling about four, were all set up terribly. I think modern techs have no idea how to set up a 7.25" radius neck. One I played had screws walking out of the pick guard. Another had the high e-string almost off the edge of the fretboard near the pickups.

The grain on the wood is very hit and miss. The guitars I played didn't sing to me. I liked the way they sounded through an amp, but not unplugged. I really liked the feel of the three-position switch in all of them I played.

The reissues have a three-bolt neck. From what I've read, I think on Womak, they're not the same as the originals, and the original three-bolt necks won't fit, or the hardware to mount them doesn't match. Could be an issue if you ever break or want to replace the neck.

I LOVE the look of them, but they did not exude a sense of quality to me.

GAD

4. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  5. Jack Dotson

Well as fate would have it, a day after I made this post I ran across a guy locally selling one of these guitars and made the deal. Mine has the natural ash body with rosewood FB. The guitar is excellent. None of the issues GAD mentioned. However, I'm a little disappointed with the pick-up's. They sound a bit thin and the top seems to get buried easily.

How do you guys like the stock pick-up's? I'm seriously considering replacing mine with a set of Lollar's, but not sure which one's. Probably the Specials. Other than the pick-up's the guitar is exactly what I wanted.

6. IndieHead

IndieHead Member

anyone know the specs of a custom shop NOS 70s reissue?

7. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

Love to see pics. Black or white plastic?

GAD

8. Jack Dotson

I'll take some pictures and post this weekend. It's has the white plastic, but I wish it were black. Kind of stuck with white though because the fret marker are white. But, man do I like this guitar. I also bought a new 339 recently and between these two I've been wearing my fingers out.