Americana EL84 amp? Deluxe Reverb with chime?

Silent Sound

What about a Deluxe Reverb with EL84's? If that's what you want, just have someone mod a DR to accept EL84 tubes. It's a fairly simple conversion. They even use the same output transformer, so all you'd have to do is replace the sockets and maybe a few resistors to get the plate voltage and bias supply right.

In any case, it's not gonna chime as much as you think. Part of that whole EL84 chime thing comes from the fact that most EL84 amps are mid bumped (and not mid scooped) and have no negative feedback loops. It's not an inherent characteristic of the tubes themselves. I know this because I've build many amps based on classic designs but with switched out power tubes. A 5e3 with EL84's sounds a whole lot like a 5e3, and nothing like a Vox AC30. A Vox AC30 with 6V6's sound a whole lot like a Vox AC30, and nothing like a Deluxe Reverb. The tubes don't have anywhere near the effect on tone as most people assume. In fact, they really only come into play when the power tubes start to distort.

So with that in mind, you might consider just taking a regular DR, installing a Celestion Blue, cutting the negative feedback, and installing a mid pot. That would be the cheapest way to get there, and is easy enough that it's a possible DIY option.

MHG

Adding a pedal like this to your Fargen may be worth considering. Also, Rockett pedals are made to excel with Blackface style amps

s360guitarist

Silver Supporting Member
Just snagged a Greer Amps CAM18. It is 6v6 but has a great chime associated with it. My friend described it as a Deluxe Reverb with some British mids thrown in...

(NAD thread forthcoming.)

tenchijin2

Pretty much any amp with a pair of EL84 is going to be suggested here. And probably a few that aren't EL84 because people love to recommend their favorites. Just try a few and enjoy. So many things will work in that genre.

Pedro58

Silver Supporting Member
The chime you're looking for is in the pre-amp design and not the power tubes. That, and a properly-voiced alnico speaker (Like a Blue) will get chime. Short cut? Buy an AC15/AC10.

kingdavidy2k

What about a Deluxe Reverb with EL84's? If that's what you want, just have someone mod a DR to accept EL84 tubes. It's a fairly simple conversion. They even use the same output transformer, so all you'd have to do is replace the sockets and maybe a few resistors to get the plate voltage and bias supply right.

So with that in mind, you might consider just taking a regular DR, installing a Celestion Blue, cutting the negative feedback, and installing a mid pot. That would be the cheapest way to get there, and is easy enough that it's a possible DIY option.
Yep I installed negative feedback knob, mid knob and put on Celestion Cream Alnico on my Princeton reverb (W/ DR Trannies).

One of the best amp I know.

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
Me thinks you over estimate the tonal contribution of the EL84's... but you could seek out a '60 tremolux.

teleman55

We play a lot of shows. My main amp used to be a Pro Reverb. Then, with the way PAs, stage volume etc. is now, stepped down to a Deluxe Reverb. My own is a beat up glorious sounding silverface but they all sound good. And I fell in love with the 6V6 groove. My other main amp is a Crate V30. A 1x12 combo with 4 EL84s. It does it for me. Some got a Celestion speaker, some got a Tone Tubby. They made a 15W mate of this w/2xEL84 and a 12 speaker. And white tolex versions with different names. These do what you say you be looking for but they were cheap price point, some in USA some in Viet Nam. So you need to find a good one that doesn't rattle etc. A good one is great. You might check out Peavey Classics too. V30 or Delta Blues.

Smashies

Platinum Supporting Member
Not small, and not light for an 18-watt 1x12, but the Dr. Z Maz 18, to me, is the gold standard for what you're going after. I play a lot of alt country and americana, and I had a Maz 18 1x12 combo with a celestion blue in it and it delivered.

Often times you read people describing it as "x percent fender, y percent vox, z percent marshall" with each of those variables...well...varying. To me, that just underlines how unique the circuit is, and I personally think it should be treated as being in a class of its own.

The cleans on it are great and chimey, and it gives up the goods when pushed. The cut knob goes a long way in getting the exact amount and type of "chime" you're going after. It might as well be called the chime knob, IMO.

Also, it can be loud as fark very easily. It's a deceptively loud 18-watts due to the big irons in it.

Highly recommend.

Trending Topics