Ammunition for the anti-tipping crowd

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Heinz57Pep, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Timcito

Timcito Member

For those of us who dislike compulsory tipping, we want the restaurant (or hair salon, or nail 'place') to charge more if that's what it takes. We want to know how much restaurant X charges for a hamburger and fries with a beer just as we would want to know how much the plumber is going to charge to fix the hot water in our homes ... including tax and any other add-ons that go with it. The customer wants to know what a provider charges for a service, in total; with that knowledge, s/he decides if the service/product is worth it or not. If I buy a guitar from Elderly Instruments or Dave's Guitar Shop or MF, I don't want to be quoted a low price for the guitar and then have to work out for myself how much extra I need to pay so that the sales assistant can afford food for the weekend. I expect that his employer has already factored in his salary with the price of the guitar. In most of the commercial world, this is common sense. In some areas of the service industry in the US, unfortunately, it isn't.

2. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

This is the most asinine thread in some time. People will use any excuse whatsoever to not tip. If you are a parsimonious tightwad, just own up to it. Leave your banal arguments elsewhere.

Zatyricon, massacre, taez555 and 2 others like this.
  3. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Member

Serious question here.. how many of you anti tipping posters put out a tip jar or refuse the money an audience member trys to give you at a gig?

Heinz57Pep likes this.
  4. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Didn't read the thread title, post or any links :red but rather than tip I usually just pay the mortgage off to the restaurant and hand the owner the keys. :knitting This one place gave me free refills after that :idea

Old Possum likes this.
  5. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I make no judgments of them. All I know is, it is incredibly easy just to order less food, have a considerably smaller bill, then the "mandatory" tip is so small that sometimes I've doubled it. And even then the total tip I leave might be $ 8 or even $ 5. In a day and age when a person can get a bill from a radiologist, etc. for $ 750 pretty much out of the blue, what difference does a measly $ 8 make?

I don't know. Maybe my tastes have just changed. Once I would go someplace where the dinner bill was $ 250. Now, I enjoy some of these places where the bill after tax is under $ 18. For two. And you bring half of it home in a doggie box. I don't miss the fancy, ultra high expectation places at all.

MrSteve likes this.
  6. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

You, then, are in the minority. As evidenced right here on TGP, most people want to pay the rock bottom price for everything in every circumstance. Those same people also tend to be stiffs when it comes to tipping so they can hang on to the precious few nickels they have left. Those people should actually give serious consideration to staying home and avoiding restaurants altogether.

SnidelyWhiplash and massacre like this.
  7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

So your issue is you have trouble figuring out 15% of a number?

Heinz57Pep likes this.
  8. el capitan

el capitan Member

Like America itself?

Old Possum, Heinz57Pep and dhdfoster like this.
  9. GuiltySpark

GuiltySpark Member

(gets excited to finally get to talk about cow tipping, one of my favorite subjects)

What's this drivel?

[GuiltySpark has left the chat]

10. jaycee

jaycee Member

:rotflmao

11. jaycee

jaycee Member

Seeing that i'm currently taking a physics course, i'm sweating just thinking about it.

:)

aiq likes this.
  12. Timcito

Timcito Member

Finally! Someone who understands me!

13. Gretsch>Vox

Gretsch>Vox Member

In 2019, everything is racist or sexist.

“World to end at noon. Women and minorities hit hardest.”

SnidelyWhiplash and Tomo El Gato like this.
  14. Okra

Okra Member

Silver bullets are going for ~$16/oz

15. Tomo El Gato

Tomo El Gato Member

It's funny that people think bartenders would be payed large salaries, comparable with programmers, lawyers and doctors, and not a low hourly wage like retail workers.

MrSteve and Okra like this.
  16. Timcito

Timcito Member

Nobody said anything about the salary being comparable with those of top earners. In cultures where bartenders are paid a living wage, they don't tend to be highly paid, as far as I know.

aiq likes this.
  17. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Normally, I don't like these kinds of generalizations.........

But this is Masterstroke, who-ever penned this first. Kudos to them!

18. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Member

Or at the very least tell the host and/or server BEFORE you are seated or order that you don't believe in tipping.

19. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

There are always gonna be programmers, lawyers and doctors who somehow get paid a relatively low income. And some bartenders may even exceed the compensation they get.

But by and large, the hourly retail worker is close to the bottom, the doctors and lawyers near the top, and the bartender is someplace in the middle. I know people who bar-tended to pay expenses while in medical school, but after 10 years of medical practice their compensation had skyrocketed way past all that.

20. Tomo El Gato

Tomo El Gato Member

Exactly. Bartenders and wait stuff always made significantly more than people in other 'low end' jobs, especially retail. Which is what makes it worthwhile putting up with a number of inconveniences (hours, for example). They would be taking a significant pay cut if the current model was replaced with a regular hourly pay.