AMP 11 or OCD?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fulldrive2, Mar 1, 2012.

1. fulldrive2

fulldrive2 Member

Currently I'm using a Timmy and a Diamond J Drive as my main overdrives, but im finding the J Drive to be just too thick and dark and muddy no matter how I mess with settings. Im looking to replace it and i think I've got it narrowed down to two finally. Thoughts from those whose played them? I play lead guitar in my churches praise and worship band, usually strats and teles through an Egnater Rebel 30. I know there's lovepedal hate around here, so I'm hoping to just get unbiased tone related advice. Which would you suggest for the most flexibility to go alongside the Timmy? Thanks.

2. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

Amp 11 will have thicker mids then the OCD. OCD is a little more comfortable to me as a medium-gain pedal, where the Amp11 sounds fatter as a low-to-mid gainer. OCD was too scooped for me into a clean amp (with single coils always) for me to keep it either time i owned one.

You are going to have some people tell you that the Amp11 and Timmy will sound the same. Unless you change the stock chip in either pedal, that is not true. I did not change the chip, so can't comment on how they sound if you did do that....but stock, they compliment each other pretty well actually.

cheers

3. dap9

dap9 Member

I'm building my own Amp 11. When it's done I can A/B it w/ my OCD v3. I've been really happy w/ my OCD since I got it new back in the day. I built a Box of Rock clone that I'm digging, but the OCD definitely has it's own flavor. I'll be curious to hear it w/ the Amp 11. I'm really curious to hear how the Amp 11 sounds w/ the OCD chip in it (TL082). I prefer that chip in Tube Screamer builds b/c it has just a little more raunch. As of for the Timmy chip, I just ordered some so I can see if there's a difference between that (4559) and the Amp 11 (4558). Not to stir up the shitstorm, but the Amp 11 is definitely a ripoff of the Timmy w/ only minor tweaks done to the circuit. I read that the Timmy may not play nicely w/ Fenders (I have a '74 Twin), but the few changes Lovepedal made, make things more "Fender friendly". Just waiting on a few more parts to come in and then I can finish my build and report back.

4. empressTIM

empressTIM Member

Can't speak on the Amp11, but I love my Tim into my OCD. They sound different enough to use separately, and are amazing for a saturated crunch when stacked. I play rhythm guitar at my church too...

5. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I've owned two V4 OCDs and one V3 and no longer have one on my board. I have an Amp11 and a Timmy. The Amp11 with the COT boost really adds another gear making that decision easier IMHO. To my ears the Amp11 is much more, well... amp-like than the OCD. I use the Timmy as a solo boost and my Amp11 is my low to medium gain/primary dirt pedal along with my FN5. Those are a great combination.

Does my Amp11 sound like my Timmy? Yes... at some settings. But these two pedals can and do sound different in most settings.

6. PaulC

PaulC Member

I'm curious - what changes makes it more fender friendly?

PaulC
    Tim/Timmy pedals
    myspace.com/paulcaudio

7. filipedelbel

filipedelbel Member

Amp11 + Timmy here too!

8. dap9

dap9 Member

I humbly admit that I'm not totally sure. It's just something I read. I don't have the schematics in front of me, but I remember at least one cap sub; but again - I'm still noobish in circuit analysis/comprehension.

9. standingzero

standingzero Member

Never tried the OCD, but really like the Amp 11. It does have some bite, but not alot of grunt behind the notes. At times it's a little "stringy" sounding, but it's always clear... which is what I use it for. Also, the electra pre-boost is killer!