AMP 11 V1 - OK I'm behind the times !

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BanditPanda, Dec 7, 2017.

1. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Member

I just ordered that pedal. The teal model. Yes according to all the posts on here that I scanned thru there are a ton of versions on the go.
    Most everything I read is in conjunction with Fender amps & guitars.
    Well I ordered this pedal for my Marshall and Les Paul. Yes I have Tele & Strat but I needed something for my LP 'cause other than the Marvel FX for Plexi type tones I have not found an OD pedal that does the LP + Marshall combination justice.
    Just looking for comments from players of Les Pauls ( and hopefully Marshalls ) that can chime in with their comments about how that pedal performs and maybe settings that can be useful with the LP + Marshall.
    Pedal won't be delivered 'till next week.
    Thanks
    BP

2. flyingmusicman

flyingmusicman Member

I have the original as well, and I believe there are really only two versions; the original with a boost dependent on the pedal being on, and all the other colors/sizes where the boost can be used without the od side of the circuit being active. The circuit is similar to a Tim, so when you hear tips for one they apply to the other; basically adjust the treble and bass cut to blend with the amp.

3. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Member

Thanks for the reply. I read about an SRV version on this Forum ?
    Re Amp 11 = Timmy there are a lot of differing opinions on that subject according to what I've read.
    I take it you're not playing an LP + Marshall with that pedal?

TomV likes this.
  4. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

For clarification, the Boost footswitch on the Tim (and the Fulldrive 2, for that matter) adds a gain boost from within the overdrive circuit. On the Amp11, it’s an actual independent boost circuit before the overdrive circuit.

There may have been infinite tweaks along the way, but there have only ever been two different switching styles: independent sides, and Boost only when the Overdrive is engaged. Yours will be the latter.

5. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Member

Yes thank you. Research did reveal that fact. I am confused now about what you said about :" independent boost circuit before the overdrive circuit" and "two different switching styles: independent sides, and Boost only when the Overdrive is engaged."
    I'm guessing that the boost circuit before the OD circuit has nothing to do with Switching styles.?

6. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

The Amp11 is COT boost > OD11 overdrive, always.

In V1, you can only use the boost when the overdrive is on. In subsequent versions, it works like every other 2-in-1 pedal (independent sides).

So in other words, I hope you didn’t pay a premium for it. :)

sanfi4u and BanditPanda like this.
  7. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Member

Thanks. No I bought it as a used, second hand pedal.
    Yes the boost can only be used when the pedal is on. No qualms about that.
    I would just appreciate you clarifying the statement about the positioning of the boost circuit comparing the Timmy/Fulltone to the Amp11 or to be more precise does that statement hold true for any version of the Amp 11?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  8. calfzilla

calfzilla Cynical Hack

Amp 11 is two separate circuits in one box. The boost side can be purchased as a standalone circuit.

The others are a singular circuit that have a “more” option, i.e. the boost is incorporated as a part of the circuit.

9. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Member

Thanks. So no matter which version Amp 11 they both have 2 cicrcuits. The O/D circuit + the boost circuit.
    In V1 the boost circuit is dependant on the O/D being on. In subsequent versions the boost circuit functions with or without the O/D circuit being engaged. Got it!!
    In reference to the above post the Timmy or the FullDrive do not have 2 circuits.

No replies from LP players. This is a predominantly Fender site?

10. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Member

As an aside did no one mod the V1 to make it's boost independent?

11. BlueFlameAmps

BlueFlameAmps Member

It's all on one pcb, separating the boost and overdrive won't happen easily.
    I've used mine with my Les Paul and JTM45 but it's an independent version. I prefer the boost side by itself.

BanditPanda likes this.
  12. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Member

Ok thanks for that. Being separate circuits I thought it may have been an easy fix. No matter I ain't no electronics guy.
    Aha ..an LP and Marshall player ! Great amp you got there. If I understand correctly you do not like the O/D at all but do appreciate the boost. Good on ya. I can only hope then that I will like the O/D 'cause that's all I'll have.!
    I'm currently using the Xotic BB Pre as the O/D for my LP but for some reason it's just not doing it for me.
    What do you currently use as an O/D if I may be so bold.?

13. BlueFlameAmps

BlueFlameAmps Member

Mostly a King of Tone, but for a Marshall player I keep a ridiculous number of OD's coming and going.

BanditPanda and dshobe like this.
  14. calfzilla

calfzilla Cynical Hack

I don’t have a Marshall but I do have a LP. BMF Godfather has done a great job. Plenty of headroom, doesn’t cause the LP to thin out or anything.

15. BlueFlameAmps

BlueFlameAmps Member

You guys do have me interested in the dual Godfather II

JumpinBradFlash likes this.
  16. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Member

KOT envy !!
    Yeah me too! The Marvel Drive floats my boat for that plexi thing but haven't bonded with an O/D yet. Ah well..it's all about the journey I guess!

17. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Member

Anybody else out there with the Amp 11 with an LP?
    Anyways I sent en e mail to LovePedal inquiring if they designed the Amp 11 more towards single coils than Humbuckers.

18. JumpinBradFlash

JumpinBradFlash Member

I havent tried the dual version but the single version is sooooo good

19. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Member

Why you guys hi jacking this thread ?
    I wanted to learn about the Amp 11.

stevenlaumer, blues and la noise like this.
  20. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've used mine with hum buckers, strats, teles and assorted P90s etc. I don't think it minds what guitar you plug into it, and it seems to meld well with most of my amps. In fact, the V1 worked better with my Princeton Reverb than almost any other overdrive except the Klon.

BanditPanda and Ben Furman like this.