amp acting weird. Need help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by strings4v, Feb 6, 2015.

1. strings4v

strings4v Member

I got a new set of tubes for my Budda Superdrive 18.
    Except for the recto tube, I switched all out. I turned the amp on, sound came out but very quiet. I gave it a few minutes but still at the very low volume. Fiddle around with the volume and gain knob but still very quiet. I thought it was the tubes so I put the old tubes back in. Same problem.
    FYI v3 pretube's tube holder (metal thing) had a loose screw but the amp worked fine as is with the old tube. Nothing wrong with the socket but just the metal holder is loose (when I put the tube in, it stays in place though)
    What do you think is the problem?

2. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

Tough to say. I would start by making sure all of your cables and connections to the speaker are good.

3. strings4v

strings4v Member

I was playing through the amp before I changed the tubes (tonight) and it was working fine. Cable is good speaker is plugged in right.

4. AXEnGEAR4J

AXEnGEAR4J Supporting Member

Check for cold joints on the tube circuit especially the heater wires

5. strings4v

strings4v Member

like inside the chasis?

6. vicdeluca71

vicdeluca71 Member

preamp tube. switch

7. strings4v

strings4v Member

Just read up on internet. I remember I was switching tubes while they were hot.. I wonder if I knocked some of the solder joints that are close to the tube sockets.

8. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Don't mess around inside the amp if you aren't qualified to do so. If you're convinced the tubes are all good take it to a tech.

9. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

Try plugging your guitar into the fx loop return jack. This way you can bypass the preamp and maybe narrow down which tube or section of the amp is causing the problem.

Start with your guitar volüme low.

10. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Doubt it.

With the amp turned on, and the vol up a little, physically grab each preamp tube near the top with two fingers (use a cloth or something if they are too hot) and wiggle each one, one at a time.
    See if wiggling any of them causes loud noises/ intermittently make the amp come back on full vol.
    If so, you may have to either spray clean the tube socket (use something like DeoxIT), re-tension the tube socket terminals, or both.

11. strings4v

strings4v Member

I'll do that.
    I did the same for power tubes and one of them made some ringing noise as I was touching it.. FYI

12. strings4v

strings4v Member

Anyone know how Jeff Bober handles it? I heard that he has a good reputation and knows Budda amps really well. I was emailing back and forth with him as he was trying to help me out. Unfortunately, had no luck but I'd like to send the chassis for him to go over it.
    If you have had your amps serviced by him, I'd love to know his rate and location.. hopefully shipping isn't much.

13. playthecray

playthecray Member

Did you try replacing the rectifier tube?

14. strings4v

strings4v Member

I have not.. but Jeff said if the recto tube was bad, the amp shouldn't put out any output.
    Maybe I should give it a go nonetheless?

15. 8len8

8len8 Member

Yes. Also, it sounds like you haven't checked ALL of the tubes yet. You really need to do that to rule them out as the problem. The problem you describe is typically due to tubes are bad solder joints.

16. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

He knows Budda amps really well because he was the main designer/developer and co owner of the original Budda amp company.

My SD18 was cutting in and out and eventually only put out a barely audible sound. One of the preamp tubes was also sitting a lot lower in the tube socket and without the tube cover it would fall right out.

It cost me about 12 bucks to ship my chassis (but I get a shipping discount at work) and he charged me around $160 to diagnose, replace preamp & rectifier tube sockets and test. He also installed an internal cooling fan (at my request).

Got the amp back about a week ago and the other guitar player in my band used it at a gig last night and it performed flawlessly.

A few months ago I shipped him my SD30 and had him install a half power switch. Trying to remember but I think it was $150. Definitely no more than that.
    I had him sign the back of the chassis on that one.

Sending it to Jeff gave me the satisfaction of knowing that it was going to be done right.

17. strings4v

strings4v Member

Still the same problem. In fact, I can't hear anything this way..

18. strings4v

strings4v Member

I might just send my chassis to Jeff.. I can't find what went wrong with it. Hopefully it's something simple.
    Thanks for all your help!

19. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

That seems to indicate that the problem is in the power section of the amp since, by plugging directly into the FX return, you are completely bypassing the preamp section.

Perhaps it is the rectifier after all.

20. strings4v

strings4v Member

I used deoxit to clean the sockets.... it works now. I feel like there is more noise than previous days, but the volume is back. Amp functions normally. Now.... trying to swap the tubes again.