Amp advice-bogner, Mesa or Rivera?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dharkon8, Apr 12, 2015.

1. dharkon8

dharkon8 Member

Hi there,
    I am looking for a new amp.
    Currently I play an H&k tubemeister 36 through either a H&K 1 x 12 or a Marshall 4 x 12. Normally either a les Paul standard or a gretsch white falcon.
    The music is originals that is a mix overdriven and delay sounds all originating from a pedal board (ie not using the amp drive).

When playing small gigs I much prefer the sound of the Marshall quad but find I am running out of headroom. With the H&K 1 x 12 I run the volume at 40% and it is plenty loud. With the quad speakers I am running the amp at 75% of max volume and getting obvious clipping on the clean channel.
    That can of course be a desirable sound but it is not something that I want with some of the delays I am running.

So I feel like I need an amp with more headroom. It also needs to play nice with pedals and the onboard dirt, while nice to have, is not a priority.
    I have been looking at the bogner shiva and the Rivera knucklehead is there anything else I should consider.
    Given that I live in New Zealand trying out amps can be challenging.
    Thanks in advance.

2. somedude

somedude Member

3. Nicks

Nicks Member

I used to have a Fender Twin back in the 90s, it sounded awesome and was very loud, most of the time I pull run it in 25 watt mode. It did suffer from lots of pops and odd noises, I sent it back to Fender and they dropped it off a fork lift! It was heavy and didn't survive the fall. They send me a new one as replacement but it didn't sound as good.

The Shiva 6L6 2 x 12 I have now is not too dissimilar. Great cleans, lots of thump in the low end. The biggest difference is that the drive sounds are way better.

The Mesa Nomad I had in between these too was an utter let down.

Go for the Shiva.

Another option would be a Morgan RV35 if you want something a bit easier to lift and aren't needing lots of drive.

Nick

4. dangeroso

dangeroso Member

If you are looking Rivera, the Quiana or Venus might be a better fit than the Knucklehead.

5. dharkon8

dharkon8 Member

Thanks for the replies.
    Any other thoughts?

6. lkft

lkft Member

The Bogner Shiva (I have a Shiva) is a channel switcher which is something by the sound of it you don't need. You would seem to benefit from a single channel, clean platform amp which to me the most logical choice would be a Fender i.e. Hot Rod series or a DR or Twin. The Shiva has a great clean channel but it also has a great drive channel which you wouldn't be using so why waste money on it when can go for a simpler single-channel format. The Mesa and Rivera are also channel switchers so I think your choices are wrong for your situation.

7. dharkon8

dharkon8 Member

Thanks for the reply.
    I have wondered about whether going to a single channel might be the best option. What fender heads (and wattage) would you recommend.

I am however happy to have a good dirt channel, it is that to this point I have been able to get what for me are better dirt sounds out of pedals.

8. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

If you want real gain, don't get a fender. They have a nasty habit of "fenderizing" distortion pedals. Try a mesa roadster (4 channels) and try a bogner ubber, or xtc. If you want a pedal platform maybe look at something like a 65 amps soho.

No fender will ever give you the features you can have in a bogner or mesa, including and not limited to power scaling, solo boosts, multi-channels, variacs, yadda, yadda...

9. cardinal

cardinal Member

If the 1x12 is so much louder than the 4x12, is try some more efficient speakers in the 4x12. Less trouble than finding a new amp.

Unless you just want a new amp, which is fine, of course. And in that case, between Bogner, Mesa, and Rivera, I'd choose something Mesa. Riveras have terrible resale (so buy only if really cheap or you know you really like it). Bogners are more known for their drive tones, which seems like you wouldn't use. Something like a Mesa Mark or Lone Star might be up your alley.

10. dharkon8

dharkon8 Member

Thanks again for the replies.

I should clarify that the 1x 12 is not louder than the 4 x 12.
    It just takes much more of the amp to reach the same volume hence the clipping on the clean channel.
    What is significantly different between the two is that the 1x 12 had what I would call a very narrow cone of sound. Stand directly in front of it and the sound is awesome. Step to either side and you get a big reduction in tone and volume. The 4 x 12 on the other hand seems to have (as I guess should be expected) a significantly larger cone of sound. My drummer in particular raves about the difference.
    It is probably also worth noting that most of our gigs are relatively small an only the vocals go through the PA