• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Amp Advice carr / two rock

Drumongus

I have been looking at the Carr slant 6v and the Two Rock pro 22/35

I am wanting something that will get me decent breakup at a low volume. I really like the Carr amps and don't know too much about the Two Rock.

Should I pull the trigger on one of these amps or should I save my dough and buy 3 vintage gibson/fender amps?

HELP TGP!!!!!

pedalcr8z

I believe a Carr Viceroy would porbably be a better choice for earlier breakup as it has a 7 watt switch.

Live Wire

Is this amp going to be used at home or in clubs ? The Slant 6V is a 40 watt amp, so if you're looking for something that sounds great at lower volume, I'd suggest a Mercury or Sportsman.

Drumongus

this will be used at clubs. I am not sure that I want to make that jump in price range when vintage is so much cheaper.

mattmccloskey

Silver Supporting Member
wait a second. The slant six is 40 watts, but it is a channel switching amp with a master volume on the drive channel. The distortion is in the preamp, so the higher wattage is mostly irrelevant to the drive levels. Sure, it sounds even better turned up to gig levels, but it's not getting drive from the power tubes.

In contrast, the Viceroy has no master volume. In 7 watt mode with the boost engaged it still needs to be REALLY LOUD to get significant overdrive. It sounds cool that way, but it has to be much louder than the slant to get even close in terms of gain. The slant still has more overdrive.

The mercury has an attenuator, so that will get power tube drive at lower levels.

Either way, the slant and the 2-rock are basically clean power amps with pre-amp overdrive circuits. The other carr's are non-master type amps, single channel. It's two different categories.

esoteric pete

Silver Supporting Member
i have a slant 6v and its a killer sounding amp. never played a two rock but im sure they are nice too.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
The Slant 6V can be switched to 18 watt or 22 watt mode - the four 6V6'a are selectable as a pair cathode biased or a pair fixed biased (tweed way/blackface way) or both sets of 2 on at the same time for the full 40 watts. The stock Emmi Red White Blues speaker is very efficient and gets loud. The clean channel is just that and needs to be very loud to begin to break up, it's an ideal pedal platform, the O/D channel has a good master vol, so you can dial in breakup at lower volumes, the two channels can very easily be set to equal volume - a real nice amp. Coco Montoya used one in the studio and toured w/one for a long time.

henryjurstin13

Silver Supporting Member
I own a Carr Slant 6V, and that drive channel isn't a favorite here - but it will cover a LOT of tonal ground. The MASTER helps that a lot. However, between the 3 power modes & the the 2 channels... this guy is pretty versatile, while remaining a very solid platform for pedal coloring. I've got no 2 Rock experience (sorry) but I do like my Slant 6V...

Drumongus

I fear this dreaded drive channel that everyone keeps saying is really bad. I have a tonemaster head that I think is probably similar to the Slant 6v on the drive channel. Just way too much gain. used in controlled doses it sounds great but it can cover some pretty heavy territory (which I never use)

I really like vintage gear, but I also like some of these new designs and can't narrow it down between a carr and a two rock or something in that lineup.

mattmccloskey

Silver Supporting Member
I fear this dreaded drive channel that everyone keeps saying is really bad. I have a tonemaster head that I think is probably similar to the Slant 6v on the drive channel. Just way too much gain. used in controlled doses it sounds great but it can cover some pretty heavy territory (which I never use)

I really like vintage gear, but I also like some of these new designs and can't narrow it down between a carr and a two rock or something in that lineup.

I don't think it's a bad drive channel at all. I think it is pretty nice. Basically a classic overdrive sound with plenty of gain but it's fairly smooth, and can be set for just mild drive just fine.

Live Wire

I love the drive channel on the Slant 6V too, I've never understood the guys who don't dig it, other than in that "different strokes" kinda way.

T92780

I have been looking at the Carr slant 6v and the Two Rock pro 22/35

I am wanting something that will get me decent breakup at a low volume. I really like the Carr amps and don't know too much about the Two Rock.

Should I pull the trigger on one of these amps or should I save my dough and buy 3 vintage gibson/fender amps?

HELP TGP!!!!!

IMO TR 35/22 won't provide "decent breakup at low volumes" without use of pedals.

rokpunk

looking to trade for the 6v? i've always wanted one. what are you looking for? i have a 2x10 rambler, and some other stuff i'd consider letting go.

henryjurstin13

Silver Supporting Member
And I forgot to mention --- I actually DO LIKE the drive channel. It's get a bad reputation here, but it's really a great amp with 2 great channels!!

bohemianbrian

IMO TR 35/22 won't provide "decent breakup at low volumes" without use of pedals.

yup. I hounded other SP22/35 threads and the consensus is that you have to push it HARD past "low volume" to get it to break up. on the other hand, its a one-of-a-kind clean that I havent heard on other amps out there. been looking for a sp22 for DAYS.

guitarpedaladdict

Gold Supporting Member
I have owned a TR Jet Sig and now own a CRV both can do some ok break up at low volume when you use the cascading gain. The SP, however, being single channel might not get there. You may want to consider one of the two channel TR amps for this reason. All that said, whenever I am trying anything out at my local guitar shop (room full of fantastic amps), I ALWAYS use the Carr. Comparing the two, I would say the TR cleans tend to sound bigger to my ears, but the Carr is a fantastic amp.

mcbprs

I am lucky enough to have a couple of Carr Slant 6v (1x12 & 2x12) and a couple Two Rocks (CRS v2 & Jet Sig) the Carrs are probably slightly more versatile because of their independent channel controls and flat out they are slightly louder than the Two Rocks, but if you want a Dumble type overdrive the Two Rock is the way to go, the Carr can get close and can also do a pretty Marshall type grind too so its a case of trying them to see what suits you and your style/guitars.

Top Bottom