• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Amp Advice: SFDR or DRRI???

timmers

Silver Supporting Member
Hey folks -

I'm seeking a Deluxe Reverb, and here's my quandary:

Option 1: Spend $800-1000 on an early/mid-70's silverface DR
or
Option 2: Spend $800-1000 on a pimp'ed out DRRI (upgraded speaker, tubes, adjusted bias, etc.)

Any advice would be most appreciated!

Totally Bored

Only you can decide. I have both.

You don't need to upgrade the Speaker on a DRRI. They come with a C12k. Very nice speaker when it's broken in. The Power Tubes on my DDRI where EH 6V6HD. Nice sounding power tube. I had only one bad pre-amp tube. Tube swapping is a given with any amp so.... you may have to swap tubes on a SFDR.

Love my SFDR and it's my #1 Fender amp but my DRRI is starting to grow on me as she is getting broken in. They sound so similar it's scary. Can't beat that new car smell. They are a nice design. Tubes are mounted on the chasis and the PCB is layed out and label'd very nice. Should last for many years. I love the fact that it is brand new.

sqadan

If the silverface has been well maintained, all caps etc... are in good shape - then the silverface would be the way to go....

If on the other hand you have to dump a couple of hundred bucks into it to get it into good working order, then go for the DRRI. No need to change the speaker, just let it break in some and it will warm right up. The bias is a little cold on these from the factory though... so a bias will be in order.

Agree with the above poster that the DRRI is VERY close to the sound of the original, and with the right tubes will sound just as good and comes with a warranty.

valcoholic57

never count out resale value......you just never know....I personally like an amp that appreciates (vintage) rather than depreciates....

Trending Topics