1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

amp advice - similar but different?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by HughesP, May 23, 2011.

1. HughesP

HughesP Member

I've gone through a lot of amps over the last few years and my absolute favorite is an 18 watt lite IIb that I built. The amp is just incredibly touch responsive, has a thick/warm midrange that cuts through the mix. I built it in a 5e3 cab, so it is light weight and portable too. Loaded with an eminence wizard, the bass is tight and full, and the amp is super efficient.

But now I'm looking for something a little louder/more head room - strictly for gigging. Probably 30-40watts. Mainly going to be playing jazz and some blues. I'll need more headroom for these styles (particularly jazz), but don't mind something that might still have some of the touch responsiveness I get from my 18 watt, just on a louder scale. Looking to spend around $700-$800ish.

Some amps that are for sale locally that I'm considering are:

Fender Custom Vibrolux
    Vox AC30cc1
    Fender Supersonic

Or (since I do enjoy amp building), I can build something like a tweed pro/super.

Alternatively, thinking about headroom for jazz, I could consider something like a Twin (likely too heavy/bulky), or even buy something like a Roland Cube (which would leave me with money left over to spend on other things).

What might you pick out of these? Other suggestions in my price range?