Amp advice sought...please give me your suggestions.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Briantime, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Briantime

Briantime Member

I have had a bit of an epiphany lately. As I sat and reflected on all the money I have spent on guitars and how I keep changing and switching them around trying to find the right sound, I have sorely ignored the need for a good amplifier!

For some odd reason, whenever it came to buying amps, I was willing to skimp, but a nice guitar almost always justified the extra cash :NUTS

Maybe my story is not that unique :jo

Here are my wants in an amp...

I am entirely a home player with no designs on gigging. I play down in the rec room so I play at reasonable volumes but do not have to confine myself to "bedroom volumes", whatever those are...

Most of what I play is classic country. Big Jonny Cash fan, Don Rich and I adore a rich, full, bouncy, and tight clean sound in an amp so a decent amount of clean headroom is needed.

I also enjoy playing blues and a bit of classic rock, so some tasty crunch is very nice to have. At present I use a BBE Green Screamer to get this sound.

Size is a bit of a concern as space is limited and it is nice to be able to tuck my amp away from the possible collision with one of my chidren :)

I'm thinking I can spend up to 1K. If my research so far proves decent, that should get me into the ballpark of some decent choices.

I would rather buy new than used. I see the value of used gear, but I hate having to shop around for something specific hoping you can get what you want.

That's about all I can think of. I appreciate any and all of your suggestions.

Brian

2. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Have you considered the new Princeton Reverb RI from Fender? Supposed to be a pretty darn good sounding amp. And I'm a big PTP, boutique snob. I think it would be about perfect for your purposes. JMHO, YMMV.

Tom

3. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

What are you using now?

4. Briantime

Briantime Member

Right now I'm using an Epi Valve Jr. combo. It's decent for what I paid for it, but it's kind of dark and lifeless to my ears...

5. Peppy

Peppy Member

Classic country and clean headroom suggest reissue Twin Reverb (may not be in your budget...not sure how much they go for now) or the like.

6. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

HMMM Epi valve jr. combo can be an awesome around the house amp, BUT, it really needs a couple good pedals in front. fender champion600 is awesome too. a little quieter than the vjr, but sounds a bit sweeter too..On the pricier side, dr.z makes some ok lowpowered amps...And then there is always the peavey classic30...you CANNOT go wrong with a peavey classic!

7. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

bump..im in a similar boat..

8. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane apolitical Silver Supporting Member

Look into Ben Fargen's Blackbird combo. I think they come in 20-30-40 Watt models. Look for a used one. Brand new they are over your 1G budget. Nashville Cats rave about these for a good reason.

9. angelo

angelo Member

Classic country makes me think clean. Low to moderate volumes. There are a ton of amps out there.

If production cost amps are the order of the day, there are many Fenders in stores that will give some cool clean sounds. The Hotrod amps are cool and reasonable. RI Super Reverbs are great - more volume than you'd need, but that's why there is a knob! Blues Jr.?

Boogie LSS rocks.

Peavey Classics --- but the Delta has a 15" and probably not what you want.

I hear some Crates would fit this bill, but I don't know.....

Booteek has many options as well, but I'd imagine more $ than you'd want to spend, no?

Hope at least some of this helps. Once you get in the stores, you'll find the one you want.

10. Briantime

Briantime Member

Thank you all...some great suggestions.

From some reading I have done here and elsewhere, I was wondering if the Swart 5W combo fits the bill for my needs...any thoughts?

11. postalblowfish

postalblowfish Member

Unless you're stuck on tube amps I suggest checking out a Roland Cube 60. The cleans are the strength of this amp, it's compact and it sounds good at all volumes. Plus it's cheap and there are some serviceable crunchy models and a few effects to play around with. I have a bunch of tube amps that vary in range from 12 to 85 watts and I've probably played the C60 the most around the house in the last year. For tube amps I agree with the PRRI suggestion.

12. Peppy

Peppy Member

Not even the AST (I have the AST-PRO). You say you want traditional country and clean headroom....the AST doesn't have enough of that at 18 watts (6V6s) or at 22 watts (6L6s). The 5 watter would be far less. Also, you say you don't play at bedroom volumes so not sure why you would be looking at a 5 watt amp. Traditional country, clean headroom and non-bedroom volumes say much bigger amp. Hence my suggestion earlier for a TRRI or similar...say SRRI...to get you those requirements.

13. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

Lot of those olde dude country pickers used Deluxe Reverbs or Princetons which would def. be in your price range. I have a DRRI and a new PRRI, and I'm liking the PRRI over the Deluxe as to me it sounds smoother, and more "fendery".