Amp and pedal power supply issue

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by DiMaio90, Mar 11, 2015.

1. DiMaio90

DiMaio90 Member

Hey guys. I have a question for someone with electrical knowledge. I play a 5150 III and have a few pedals I use with the amp. I have a power supply with multiple attachments so I can power many pedals. There are little plastic pieces to go over attachments that are not powering a pedal but I lost them all. So today I was playing when I heard my amp cut out and heard a weird sound like (womp womp womp womp). Then it was fine. It did this again just like the first time a minute later. I turned off amp and pedal when I saw that one of the pedal power supply attachments was touching one of the metal amp footswitch buttons. It seems that them making contact caused the issue. Any idea what causes this? Could this cause damage to the amp? I'd appreciate any knowledge on the subject. Thanks.

2. zenas

zenas Member

Take one cord and go from your guitar to your amp. If the amp works it's ok.

The input jacks on a guitar amp want to see a pretty small low voltage signal. You must have like 9 volts on that pedal board and it's DC that would make some funny noises I'm thinking.

3. DiMaio90

DiMaio90 Member

The amp sounds normal. Im sure repeated/extended contact would cause some issues. Im just curious what exactly caused the cut out when the pedal supply made contact with the amp footswitch button.

4. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

If I'm understanding you correctly, my guess would be when the pedal power supply made contact with the pedal footswitch, it grounded out the power supply. Since electricity likes to take the path of least resistance to ground, the power supply diverted all of the power that was feeding into the pedals, straight to ground instead via the footswitch it was making contact with (I'm also assuming the footswitch itself is grounded). This would have killed the juice to your pedals and consequently killed the signal coming out of your pedals feeding into your amp. Thus the "womp womp" sound. Since this connection to ground isn't a good solid one, it's not consistently killing the sound. Kind of like a cold solder joint, only in reverse.

That's just a rough guess based on my imagination of what I think is going on.

5. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Member