• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Amp/attenuator question

Geetar_Will

Silver Supporting Member
I've got a '64 Fender Tremolux head (4 ohms out I believe) and a 2x12 avatar cab (8 ohms). I've been running this setup for some time with great results. Big thick tone with my ash tele (sunface helps as well..), keeping the volume around 3.5 at the most.

During recording I've taken the amp up around 6 to 8 and had (you guessed it), better results. :banana

I'm looking at getting a Dr. Z air brake lite. The price is right and the guy makes great stuff. My questions is, if I put the attenuator at the 4 ohms setting (as that's what the amp wants to see), is anything going to go crazy on me?

Thanks

jeffshoaf

I'm looking at getting a Dr. Z air brake lite. The price is right and the guy makes great stuff. My questions is, if I put the attenuator at the 4 ohms setting (as that's what the amp wants to see), is anything going to go crazy on me?

Thanks
The Air Brake Lite doesn't have an impedance setting, so the only thing to set is the amount of attenuation.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
There's a Dr. Z forum, you might ask there. LOTS of knowledgeable people (with too many amps) over there...

Geetar_Will

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks guys.

But going from a 4 ohm out amp to a 8 ohm cab with the brake lite inbetween, there shouldn't be any issues right?

case4bass

I wouldn't break an old amp. Only ones no more than ten yrs old.
Do I want to break an amp with a wax dipped circuit board?

Belmont

I own one, it works really well, except, it only slightly attenuates before things get ugly quick. if you only want to shave off the edge for live performance etc., it's a great unit. if you want more attenuation than just taking the edge off, look elsewhere. to sum it all up I find it highly overpriced for what it is, and what it does (performance).

Geetar_Will

Silver Supporting Member
I own one, it works really well, except, it only slightly attenuates before things get ugly quick. if you only want to shave off the edge for live performance etc., it's a great unit. if you want more attenuation than just taking the edge off, look elsewhere. to sum it all up I find it highly overpriced for what it is, and what it does (performance).

... Waiting for the rebuttal to this...

Also... Am I hearing that using a brake lite on a vintage amp is a bad thing? Educate me please.

Geetar_Will

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks Supro. I might give it a shot, we'll see.

And the Tremolux is 4 ohm into the 8 ohm cab the the way.

Trending Topics