Amp brands you know if you buy one.....you are going to take an asskicking on resale ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Telejester, May 7, 2019.

1. laneychris

laneychris Member

2. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

I mentioned them earlier but the more I think about it, they are so inexpensive new that you really won't lose that much when you sell them.

3. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Member

It depends if you regard gear as a commodity, or a tool of creativity.

I bought my 1st year Blues Deville new in the 90's for $575, and put a couple hundred into it over the years. And if I GAVE it away tomorrow, I've gotten 10 times what I paid out of it in 'enjoyment per hour' and gig earnings.

uab9253 likes this.
  4. burner

burner Member

Lol i know, right.....i thought the "investment" thing was just an angle to use on your wife.
    :)

Hallogallo likes this.
  5. budglo58

budglo58 Member

I don’t consider resale when I buy anything. It’s annoying when you take a hit, but I bought the thing to be played and sometimes your needs change .

6. MrMoose

MrMoose Member

Anything boutique

Bodhisattva likes this.
  7. bloozeman1

bloozeman1 Supporting Member

8. Wyatt Martin

Wyatt Martin Member

Actually for a while shortly after they "closed" their used value probably increased to their highest levels ever. Maybe not on an individual basis but GC is selling used Legacy 3s for the same price Carvin was selling them new.

To respond to the OP the biggest and most unpredictable hit I have taken is on a Twin Reverb reissue. Actually I haven't taken a hit yet as I still own it but I couldn't even generate interest at one third of what they currently sell new for. Gave up trying to sell, but I have spent too much trying to like it.

9. AintNoEddie

AintNoEddie Silver Supporting Member

Budda, unfortunately. Lovely amps. However I see all of them (usually 3-4, so not many at least) just sit forever and prices get lowered and lowered. Stupid good deals if you ask me. (Edit: from a buyer‘s perspective ofc)

10. teemuk

teemuk Member

What can you expect? You are selling worn, used second hand stuff without warranty, and the only assurance the thing even works flawlessly is your word. Asskicking during resale comes with the territory. Expect that pretty much every amp loses at least 50% of its value the minute it leaves the store.

ferrinbonn and uab9253 like this.
  11. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

12. data_null

data_null Member

I guess I should tell all the other shops, and private sellers, that I know, that are consistently profiting in the used gear market to just give up because guitarman3001 said there's no money to be made.

One person not being able to sell something on Craigslist, Reverb, etc does not mean the market is "horrible for sellers".

13. AintNoEddie

AintNoEddie Silver Supporting Member

Sure, too easy. However there is a difference. Some brands/models are way easier to sell and take a lesser hit. I think that was the OP´s point/question.

uab9253 likes this.
  14. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Supporting Member

If you’re near South Dakota I’ll be happy to relieve you of it as a favor to a TGP brother. ;)

Music gear is a super unpredictable market. Everything sells...eventually...but at a decent price? You never know.

I don’t buy things anticipating selling them, I’m simply judicious about assessing value should I need to sell it. I’m seeking tools of expression and personal excitement for creativity, but if what I get doesn’t work for me I don’t want to take a bath on it either.

15. tbonesullivan

tbonesullivan Member

I knew I should have gotten one of those when I had the chance. Apparently Mercury Magnetics even makes a new transformer for it. I still don't understand why they couldn't have at least kept making the V3m and L3 heads. They still have all the equipment for domestic circuit assembly/etc.

I don't really understand why they did what they did. The audio division had just set up a new factory, etc etc. I'm not sure what they are making in the USA, and what they are making overseas now.

I may need to scoop up some of those speakers they are selling though. The GT12 speakers are pretty nice.

Wyatt Martin likes this.
  16. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Buy used, and should you later sell, you've played for free.

17. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Nah. Ya'll need to consider absolute dollars (or Yen or Pesos, etc.), not percentage lost. Sell your 2 year-old $800 (new) Fender HRD for $425 (which should be easy) and it cost you $375. Sell your 2 year-old $4,000 Two Rock for $3,000 and it cost you $1,000. Good luck trying to sell your $4K Two Rock for $3,625. Won't happen.

primal and uab9253 like this.
  18. jens5

jens5 Silver Supporting Member

I wish.

19. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Not always true. I've bought several used amps that I ended up selling for a few hundred $ less than I paid.

And, if that amp needs any repairs while you've owned it, you're likely not getting that money back.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  20. uab9253

uab9253 Member

I was going to state the obvious one, but I don't think anyone listed it yet -
    Line6

Also, as I'm finding out first hand, Blackstar. But that one has come up here already. I think in general, guitars hold value better than amps or most electronics, except for those rare sought after old pedals. Get five generations in, and see how much that second generation Fractal will get you. It's almost like smartphones and PC's at that level. Yesterday's screamer spec electronics are tomorrow's dog.
    Also, for the most part, guitars are way easier to ship and deal with from a distance than say a 50lb tube head or a 4X12 cabinet

screamtone likes this.