• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

amp buying advise.....DRRI vs BDRI

Which amp would you recommend for me?

• Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue (DRRI)

• Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue (BDRI)

Results are only viewable after voting.

kensmith

Well my amp quest has brought me to two amps that I am considering:

Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue
vs
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue

I have not had much quality time playing a BDRI, but I have with the DRRI and loved it. I found two nice samples locally in mint condition....and $170 separates them (BDRI is $170 less than DRRI)

I will use Strat and Teles with it. Mainly play blues and classic rock type music and contemporary Christian music at church. Budda Wah and Pedalboard with mix of analog and digital and also use a M13.

I like the blackface tone and I really am most focused on Fender Clean tones as I get my dirt from pedals most of the time (need to be pretty low volume at home and also when mic'd at church).

So which one has better cleans and better lush reverb in your opinion?

Which one do you recommend for me?
Poll above to track voting :)

Last edited:

fazendeiro

For what you describe, it's the DRRI hands down.

I've used a Blues Deluxe and I thought it sounded pretty good, but it doesn't have the traditional Fender drippy reverb blackface tone.

for what you play and the music you play definitely the DRRI...if you were more of a rocker and played les pauls or es335's I might have said the blues deluxe...

I have a drri, and I love the cleans, but I HAVE to use an eq pedal with my humbucker guitars, it has NO mid control, and the tonestack adds mids by decreasing bass and treble which thins out the tone...so I crank the bass and treble to just past 5 and use the eq to add mids...

Ive played a BDRI and it sounded alot better guitar-amp NO PEDALS with my les paul than my DRRI would...

5E3

I like my DRRI. However, I had to change the speaker to a Cannabis Rex, clip the bright cap and install some better power tubes to make it sound good to me. YMMV :)

kensmith

okay so the voting looks like it coming down to the wire....perhaps a photo finish :) 24 to 1

I pickup my DRRI today and I will then be back for suggestions (speaker upgrades, tubes, tilt legs, ....if never ends).

Thanks for the input!
Ken

Gnarlly

okay so the voting looks like it coming down to the wire....perhaps a photo finish :) 24 to 1

I pickup my DRRI today and I will then be back for suggestions (speaker upgrades, tubes, tilt legs, ....if never ends).

Thanks for the input!
Ken

I have a DRRI and suggest the following:
-keep the Jensen C12K speaker. It takes awhile to break in, but is a great match for the amp.
-pick up some Mullard 12at7's for the reverb and PI positions. These are still relatively cheap for NOS tubes, and sound great.
-clip the bright cap on the vibrato channel if you use pedals at all; if you play single coils, you won't miss it.
-I like JJ ecc83's in the 12ax7 positions; they tame some of the blackface treble and add some mids.
-I like EH 6V6's for new production power tubes; some prefer the new JJ 6V6, but it sounds more like a 6L6 to me.
-I just ordered a set of tilt-back legs; from what I've read, these are a nice addition to the amp.

Enjoy your DRRI! It's a great amp!

kensmith

Thanks for the suggestions. I have one MAJOR complaint about this amp. It has killed half of my gear. Let me 'splain....
This amp sounds fantastic. I am now aware that I have not had an amp with this level of touch sensitive quality and tone. Not sure if I got a good one, or if it will be made even better with more use and mods. Fortunately I have a great guitar (Tele) with some great pickups in it. I also have other guitars that no longer sound so good. Okay but I see that they don't shine through it like that one tele.
I also have alot of pedals. I have been through some boutique ones (Fulltone, Xotic, etc) and they did not last and now I have some more budget pedals that don't sound so good now...in this tone machine. I need a few good ones, and need to sell/trade the others off.
Loving the DRRI honeymoon so far :)

5E3

^^^^ Glad you like the DRRI!

Depending on your needs for pedals, you may want to check out a Line 6 M13 multi-effects unit. We have this 145 page thread going on one in the pedals forum. :) I'm using an M13 in from of my DRRI and really like the Fuzz Face and Tube Screamer ODs.

However I did swap the speaker and made the C10 bright cap mod, so my amp probably sounds a lot different than yours ... not to mention that tone is terribly objective, so your opinion may vary greatly. :dunno

kensmith

5E3: Thanks....and actually I have a M13. I have not tried it with my DRRI yet as I tried pedals first.....but I will get there. I normally use the M13 on my rig I use at church with praise band. Can't beat having all those effects at my fingertips for contemporary Christian stuff. I also like the Screamer model (starting at the zero gain setting). I will read up on the bright cap mod and probably get a bias-rite tool so I can rebias as well. Not sure if I will get a new speaker right away (probably will as I normally go that route) or give it some time to see how I like the stock speaker. I will get a beam blocker though.....I like those for rounding out the sound.

5E3

Give your M13 a try in front of the DRRI. The FX models "Facial Fuzz" and "Screamer" are the Fuzz Face and TS knockoffs. I'm getting some very nice classic rock type distortions with both.

Definitely give that stock speaker some time to break-in and tweak the DRRI's EQ. Also try the "normal" channel if you aren't using the on-board effects. IMO, the DRRI is a very good sounding amp and not that difficult to dial in.
:BEER

Trending Topics