Amp/Cab Question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Davis Dodds, May 2, 2016.

1. Davis Dodds

Davis Dodds Member

I have an 8-ohm 1x12 cab and was hoping to run my Fender Champ 600 into it (which I believe is 4 ohms). Will this work?

2. joeprs

joeprs Member

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, please.

It is my understanding that what you want to do will work w/o harming your amp, providing that the Champ 600 is 4 ohms. Now, if your amp was putting out 8 ohms and you wanted to plug it into a 4 ohm speaker, this would not be a good idea, if I understand correctly. Hopefully, someone will correct me if I'm wrong, and/or give a better explanation then what I have.

I have a Carr Raleigh, which is 8 ohms, and Steve Carr told me that I could play it through my 2 x 12 16 ohm cabinet w/o harming the amp.
    I have a Bad Cat Cub IIR combo that has an 8 ohm speaker in it, and John told me that it would not be a problem changing the amp's output to 4 ohms. I could not hear the difference it made, so I just leave it on 8 ohms, unless I plug it into my 2 x 12 cabinet, then I set it on 16 ohms to match the cabinet.

I hope this helps.

3. Davis Dodds

Davis Dodds Member

Thanks man. I'm going to wait for confirmation from at least one other to make sure, but thanks for the info.

4. joeprs

joeprs Member

You're welcome. And I don't blame you for waiting to be sure.

5. dwoverdrive

dwoverdrive Supporting Member

@joeprs is correct. You want to match impedance but if you must have a mismatch you want the 4ohm amp going into the 8 ohm cabinet and not the other way around. I always think of it like this: You can pour 4oz of water into an 8oz glass but it won't work the other way around.

6. scott-colorado2016

scott-colorado2016 Member

I thought I'd read that the OT on the modern Champ 600 was robust enough to take up to a 16 ohm cab... but I'm no expert on the subject and i don't own one anymore.

7. cap47

cap47 Member

You are wrong because plugging into a cab of higher ohms works the O.T. harder. Inversely if you plug into a lesser rated cabinet than amp is rated then the output tubes have to work harder. At any rate, if the OT is robust enough, you are most likely safe one step difference in either direction. I would rather err towards having a shorter tube life than O.T. life though!

You would be increasing heat in the O.T. because of the higher ohm speaker. Resistance increases heat. Less resistance decreases heat in the O.T.. Then the tubes run hotter.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  8. joeprs

joeprs Member

If I remember correctly, John from Bad Cat told me about working the O.T. harder, but said that it could handle it.

cap47 likes this.
  9. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

The manual says "4 ohm minimum", which implies that 8 should be fine.

10. IM4Tone

IM4Tone Member

Speaking in general terms (irrespective of a given model tube amp) both of these statements are backwards (incorrect). There is greater risk with a tube amp when it is mismatched with a higher speaker impedance than with a lower one.

However, a robust OT will normally handle one step up or down with no harm. It is always best to follow the mfg. recommendation OR get one of THESE. Otherwise, proceed @ your own risk.

11. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

IM4Tone is correct. With a solid state amp, there's usually a minimum load the amp can handle, and it should be fine with anything at or above that rating. With tube amps, however, you want it to be pretty much dead on. They don't tolerate mismatches as well as solid state amps. But the general rule of thumb with them is they usually do better with a cabinet that's rated lower than the amp's preferred output rather than higher. So in the case of the Campion 600 (being a single ended tube amp), it should do better with a 2 Ohm cabinet than an 8 Ohm cabinet. That being said, there are no guarantees. Sometimes the OT can handle a mismatch in the other direction as well and still be okay. Some times they'll catch fire. It all depends on how hard the OT gets worked, and how robust of an OT the manufacturer decided to install.

12. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

In general, I agree, but that contradicts the manual for this particular amp. When in doubt, I'd go with what the manual says.

13. Davis Dodds

Davis Dodds Member

If it says 4-ohm minimum, that means anything 4 or less (in number rating). Ohm ratings are backward (4 is greater than 8).

EDIT: I'm now confusing myself. What I said doesn't sound right...

14. Schpyder

Schpyder Member

Because it's not. Minimum Ohm ratings are in fact minimum, in that you want that Ohm rating or higher (8 is higher than 4).

cap47 likes this.
  15. Davis Dodds

Davis Dodds Member

Thanks for calling me out.

16. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

No, it means the minimum impedance is 4. 8 is higher than four, so it's okay. Impedance isn't backwards. The higher the number, the more resistance.

17. cap47

cap47 Member

and more resistance creates more heat in the O.T. .

18. TJNies

TJNies Supporting Member

I have always heard that Fender amps can handle 2x with no trouble. By that it was stated a 4-ohm OT can run an 8-ohm speaker load fine. You will, however, get less output from that speaker, all else being equal.
    Personally, I would just match the impedance of the speaker and OT.