Amp Cabinet Calculations

Erich Onnen

Howdy, all! Great page, btw. MANY years ago I owned a book that gave very precise calculations for speaker building, taking into account the size of the driver, square footage of the cab, etc. There were "F" values referenced.......

Anyway, I'd sure like to have a copy of that (I lost it in "Le Divorce") again. I have a couple of projects I want to do, one of them being an adjustable, dual baffle cab loaded with some interesting drivers. The calculations would really help me et the presets right.

Thanks in advance!!!

Erich

Erich Onnen

A book about amp cabinet calculations is usually the first thing the partner goes for in a divorce.
HAHA. I was actually away gigging when she decided I had "abandoned" her (this was 25 years ago) and I literally lost everything EXCEPT my road gear, the three changes of stage clothes, and the "street" clothes I had hahaha. BUT~ That's funny, raght ther. .. .

Erich Onnen

Maybe what you're looking for is how to use the Thiele-Small parameters. There are many sources of such information; some manufacturers like Eminence have online resources on how to build cabs for particular drivers.

For Eminence, see http://www.eminence.com/support/designing-enclosures/.
That's it! 'Thiele-Small'. THANK YOU! I'll also check out the Eminence resources. I sure appreciate it. I had brain locked. !!!

Kyle B

It's intetesting to note that 'in theory' a square 4x12 Marshall cab should sound horrible. But it doesn't ;) In other words....take the theory with a grain of salt. Might be better to just measure some that you think sound good and copy 'em.

Silent Sound

It's intetesting to note that 'in theory' a square 4x12 Marshall cab should sound horrible. But it doesn't ;) In other words....take the theory with a grain of salt. Might be better to just measure some that you think sound good and copy 'em.
Agreed. With Hi-FI speakers, you usually want a nice flat frequency response. With guitar speakers, that usually sounds bad.

To the OP: I'm betting your book was about hi-fi speakers which are quite different in design and philosophy from guitar speakers. There's a reason why people don't use hi-fi speaker for guitar amps or guitar speakers for hi-fi setups very often. I would spend more time studying guitar cabinets that you like and learning from them, rather than trying to apply hi-fi technology to a guitar amp.

Baxtercat

Silver Supporting Member
Also agree ^
We had a book like that when we built ourselves some band equipment long ago.
In hindsight it wasn't important to have [and carry!] all the cubic space recommended.

Happier now w/ the tight combos cabs I make. Just enough room for the chassis, tubes, and either a 1-10 or 1-12.
Let the gtr do the mids and highs; let the bass player take care of the lows.

Trending Topics