Amp choice.Bstar S1,Marsh TSL100,Mesa Stiletto

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TheAmpFactory, Jan 26, 2012.

1. TheAmpFactory

TheAmpFactory Member

Ok so I have a choice of these 3 Heads. but a few questions.

I liked all 3 of them at demo, but as always its hard to really test an amp fully untill its in hands.
    i liked all 3 for differnt reasons, but having a hard time deciding whats right for me longer term.

Blackstar Series1 100 Head, 100W
    Marshall TSL100
    Mesa Stiletto Trident.

The Blackstar, as with most BS amps the cleans are fantastic (still some of the best around) - I already own Blackstar amps (HT60+cab) so this was my natrual walk forwards. although I dont play metal at all....blues/classic rock/floydy.

Marshall, well typical sound really. but scared that I wont be unique enough long term, but I like the sparkle of this amp.

mesa.. well this was a funny one. Ive owned a messa express before, and really did not get on with it after a few weeks.. although the tone is differnt on this model. but worried i''ll be walking over old ground.

Anyway, i will get one of these 3 amps. - as mentiond, I play classic rock. (nothing hard) - have a good pedalboard upfront. and whats important is to get good clean (true clean) at drummer level. ideally a good FX loop aswell for some mod effects for when I want to push the amp a bit harder..

So with that all said.. what amp is better suited for my needs out of the above 3..

Thanks for your input.

2. WickedG

WickedG Member

I had a Stiletto Ace head (sold it to try and save some $), and bought a Marshall DSL (50 watt), then sold the Marshall and and got another Stiletto Ace.

But, I was using the amp for my overdrive/distortion tone. If you are looking for clean cleans, i actually liked the Marshall better than the Stiletto.

3. muzacman02

muzacman02 Member

While I am a Blackstar Owner too, I get so tired of people saying how Crappy they are and they don't cut through the band Mix BLAH, BLAH ! However I use the Soloist 60 and with a Speaker Change and a Pricey Matched tube set from Power and Preamp section this amp Will stand by some of my Handwired Prized amps. I owned a DSL100 and while I used it for Gain only the Cleans weren't bad. The Boogie, Too many gadegets and very pricey for repairs. The S1 100 is one BAD! ASSZZZZZ amp. The Celestion Seventy 80 does good for the Scooped rock stuff but if you ever try a Cab Loaded with say a V30, Greenbacks or an EVM? You will have a completely different animal. You will save over 45% on the cost too, I'm not knocking boogie but It's just not a Marshall or Blackstar. Good Luck in your decision, I would love to Have a S1 50 watter 100 is way too much for me

4. TheAmpFactory

TheAmpFactory Member

Well as luck would have it. - I have 2x V30's and 2 x Alinco golds in my cabs.. so ive got good choice of speakers..(and yes) Blackstar does have a bad rep.. totaly happy with mine. but becasue I use the Stage60 + its 2x12 cab.. its a back breaker.. hence why Im now looking for something easier to carry... so a 2x12 and a nice head will do me fine!. - with the addition of dragging a 2nd 2x12 shoudl I ever need it..

5. TheAmpFactory

TheAmpFactory Member

bump please!.
    Any of these amps shine more than the others??

6. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

I may be just ignorant, but I'm kind of an old school guy, so I ask myself, what is this brand blackstar?

Do they make just metal amps? If so, I would definitely hate their amps. Are they made in china? I've never really tryed one of these.

You can't go wrong with a JVM though. Build quality is so so, but some pretty cool sounds in this box.

The Stiletto is supposed to cover marshall sounds as well, it's got a voice of it's own though. I like the clean channel ot the stiletto better as well. (from what I've tryed in shops)

7. pcauchi

pcauchi Member

When I first saw the title I thought it meant Marsh was making a TSL100 clone!

I'd stay away from the Mesa. Cleans fell flat for me big time; TSL100 cleans on the other hand are surprisingly nice IMO!

8. ungarn

ungarn Member

Find a used Marshall TSL or JVM

9. TheAmpFactory

TheAmpFactory Member

not owning marshall amps before.. is the TSL a typical marshall sound?
    And as its a 100w head, and want to run everything upfront. (no through the loop) - will I have problems with clean volume agaisnt a fairly loud drummer?
    I dont really want the sound to break up at all..as I run delays in front of the amp.

The FX loop on these amps apparently are not good at all. as they are parellel and have a big volume drop once engaged. (so Ive been told) even by marshall themselvs!.

10. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

11. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

TSL = Kind of a thin type distortion sound unless cranked (which is fine by me) cleans are just passable....biggest offense is...Big lag when switching between channels, loops are terrible

Stiletto= Great sounding amp all around if you work it right..The effects loop on these is your friend for cranking the channels and controlling with the loop.

B.S. S-1= I'm curious and want to try one. Never had one so have no opinion on it.

12. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

I owned a TSL for a year. The clean is okay, but nothing to write home about. It can nail a JCM 800 reissue. I know, as I A/B'd both amps and that's the reason I picked the TSL. it could do everything the JCM 800 could do, and more. The more part is what ended up causing me to sell the amp. I just don't think it was a well thought out amp. And, as kurtsstuff mentioned, the effects loops are atrocious. I was sorry I bought it after awhile. Thus, I sold it and ordered a Germino. In my case, simple is better. Had I bought the JCM 800 re-issue, I bet I'd still have it, which means I would not have a Germino so I guess it worked out okay.

13. halfnote

halfnote Senior Member

get a duece ii and learn how to set it.