Amp Clip (Pink Floyd)....Tone Comments Welcome

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by reo73, Jan 28, 2008.

1. reo73

reo73 Member

Pink Floyd 'Time' clip I made a few months back as I was learning the DSOTM album. I am interested in what people think of the tone. All guitars are the same amp on the same setting with the solo being boosted w/delay.

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=24622

I should note, I am not trying to copy the PF tone perfectly. I just like this tone and thought it works well for the song.

2. reo73

reo73 Member

Thanks,

Amp is a Mesa Boogie Studio Preamp thru a MB 50/50 power amp. I set the lead channel for a good somewhat bright crunchy rhythm tone and then boosted the solo with a Kaden Pavo Boost.

I'll PM you about backing tracks.

3. justonwo

justonwo Supporting Member

I think the solo sounds quite nice, but the rhythm lacks the crunch and subtlety, I think, that makes that part of the song great. The original solo is so compressed from the Big Muff that most of the dynamics are lost - and that's fine because the solo sounds fantastic as it is - but I don't think that kind of tone works very well for rhythm because it can sound a little "synthy."

4. reo73

reo73 Member

I can agree with that. Maybe less gain would help that out.

5. bilbal

bilbal Member

Love the lead tone you got going on. It's great. the second guitar is good but a little to much gain maybe (??) I can't pin it down and I have listened to it a few times. There is something that isn't sitting as well as the solo is but I can't figure out WTF it is - sorry!!! I'll keep trying cause now I want to know as badly as you. Thanks for giving me more to think about!!! :D

Very well played dude!!!! Gilmours stuff is so cool when you nail it. It's like you know when you have it down note for note because it all comes together so nicely!!! I haven't learned a whole lot of Dark Side... but I tackled The Wall years ago and just recently started playing it again. I love it. I would love to learn the entire Final Cut. That disc has some real nice guitar tone!!!

Have Fun,

B

6. reo73

reo73 Member

I'm thinking less gain and maybe a single coil tone instead of the humbucker. That might open up the dynamics a bit.

7. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

Sounds great.. I thought it was a little too bright. (I am used to hearing single coils on this tunes as well). For wanting your own tone that fit.. it does fit very well. ;)

8. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

Shame on you for using a Boogie amp for Floyd, hey just kidding, nice work! Lean into the bar for those trem and dive parts, maybe a little more phrasing across the frets and you'll be nailing it!

9. bilbal

bilbal Member

I completely missed the fact that the OP used humbuckers for the clip. Holy cats!!! I'm impressed with the fact that he got 'buckers to sound that close. Nicely done!! Use single coils and it will get you there. Oh yeah, lessen the gain a tad too. All in all you are there brother...sounds great. It'll sound even better with some tweaking.

great job,
    b