amp clone buyer's guide

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by timeforheroes, May 2, 2008.

1. timeforheroes

timeforheroes Member

hey there,
    hello to the gear page. i have a quick question that i would really appreciate some advice on. there is an offer to buy a used matchless spitfire clone. i've never had the opportunity to own anything in the spitfire territory, so i was really interested.
    i was just wondering what kind of price you guys would pay for the following amp:

-matchless spitfire clone....builder and kit supplier (if there is one....) are unknown.
    -chassis comes housed in a vox 2x10 setup. it is loaded with 2 celestion blue bulldogs (10 inch)

im kinda hesitant cause i cant play it before i buy it and I dont really know who built it. what should I be looking for? is this a stupid purchase?

any advice would be appreciated

thanks

2. stuagu

stuagu Member

hi tim,
    you cant try it & you dont know who made it?... it seems to me that youve answered your own question.
    RISKY, but who knows you may love it? as for what i'd pay? ... i wouldnt buy it!
    atb stuagu

3. jay42

jay42 Member

It would almost have to be a Trinity or Ceriatone kit. Is it badged Matchless or something else?

4. timeforheroes

timeforheroes Member

at first i thought it would have to be a ceriatone kit. so when i asked the guy he responded, "i dont think it is a ceriatone kit because the builder gave me different kit options....some of which were not ceriatone..."

here is something unique.....normal spitfires only have 3 knobs. this one has an added 4th knob that is a "bass" knob. there is no real indicaton that says matchless.....it is housed in a bare chassis and then loaded into a vox combo cabinet.

5. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

When I ran my shop, I had a ton of customers who would bring me their home-made amps when they couldn't get them to run right.

The things I saw inside these amps were way beyond cringe worthy.

Personally, with so many unknowns, I wouldn't touch this amp.

6. PRNDL

PRNDL Member

My thoughts exactly.

The easiest solution is to get a photo of the amp circuit and post it here for a critique.
    It will either be naughty or nice.

7. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

And here I thought someone was going to post all the places where you can buy different kits for their favorite amps.

Ah yes, what Mark says.

Plus buying a kit/clone from an unknown source is pretty scary.

You might just be buying somebody else's problems ; )

8. HipKitty

HipKitty Silver Supporting Member

Amen brother!

9. mbetter

mbetter Member

So who is the builder?

I have a Matchless Clubman-based amp built by John Martin that is an amazing piece of kit.

10. Rattle&Hum

Rattle&Hum Supporting Member

Hey, timeforheroes... this is woodyjunior from Harmony Central.

Watts Audio (formerly turretboards.com) also has spitfire kits (http://www.turretboards.com/). I'm not sure of their quality or where they source their parts.

I'd also like to know about who built it and about their experience and/or credentials.

Just ask a lot of questions and proceed with caution... if anything smells funny, just ask the forum. I know where you can get an impressively built 18 watt... wink wink... jk :)

11. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

I would at least take a look at the guts.. I've seen some pretty pro home-built jobs too.

12. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    +1000

Why is the identity of the builder secret? This alone would make me pass on the deal.

13. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

As have I.

Although several people have agreed with my previous post, in a spirit of fairness, I have to say....some DIYers brought in stuff that was "pure artwork" (and worked / sounded fine).

They were the minority, though. Maybe one out of ten. But, yes, I saw some nice homemade amps.

mn

14. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)

I've worked on several Champ and Tweed Deluxe clones that the home builder couldn't get working. The workmanship wasn't bad to look at either.