Amp covers Tuki vs. Le Cover

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cbpickin, Jan 27, 2006.

1. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I have a Tuki cover for my ''66 Super Reverb that I am very happy with. I need a cover for my new Clark Beaufort. The pics on the Le Cover site are not that great and there are only a couple. Anyone have any experience with Le Cover? Are they as good of quality as Tuki? They are a few bucks cheaper and they have a cool beige color for tweed amps.

I hope this is the right place to post this question, I couldn't find anywhere better suited. Sorry, I am a newbie.

2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I was a Tuki guy for years. In 1998, I needed a cover pronto and Tuki couldn't make the deadline, Larry at Lecover had no such issue.

I have ordered a huge number of covers since then, all from LeCover. They do killer work, always ship very fast and their prices are better than Tuki. The covers themselves, IMHO, are far superior to Tuki. The Lecover Deluxe hold their shape and last forever. They wear very well, very thick and I always make a point to highly recommend them.

3. Tomo

Tomo Member

I like my Tuki covers. but it's nice to know other choices.

Thanks,

Tomo

4. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

Also check out Studioslips.

5. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Yeah, Susan is a sweatheart to deal with. I have a few of them and the new clamshell one looks awesome.

I have to look into LeCover.

I have a few Tukis and they are great, no issues at all.
    I got a blue one for my Masonette at 1/2 price on their webpage and it is great. The blue is nice in a dark room when you want to check your gear from accross the room and make sure it didn't grow legs.

6. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Does the Lecover come with a belly strap?

7. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

Larry will put the strap on but I think it's a few bucks($5.00?) more.

8. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I myself went the opposite way of Scott...started out buying from LeCover and switched over to Tuki. And for pretty much the same reason (lack of timely response); plus, I like it when the belly strap is included. I think they both make very good covers and are generally good to deal with.

9. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I've never owned a Tuki, but have liked what I've seen. Was going to order one for my Clark Tyger, ended up buying a Lecover used. It's really beautiful. Fits perfectly, so well made, and that cool tan color goes so well with the dark tweed. I'm a Lecover convert. My cat loves it too. She never sat on the amp before, now she's always up there.

10. thid

thid Member

Another vote for Le Cover, I have seven of them and they all work great.

11. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

In the Tuki column. I get the padded cover with the padded bottom flap on mine. I bought my first one so long ago I don't remember. At least at the time I was buying covers, LeCover did not offer the padded bottom flap. The added protection from the full wrap flap is real and worth the extra cash. It does take a little more effort to put the amp in the cover.

FWIW it seemed like Tuki made slight changes to their padding and cover material a few years back. The newer (as in more than 5 years ago yikes!) ones, are a little stiffer and the padding feels a little tougher. They have always fit perfectly. I always measure and provide dimensions.

I have cases for the stuff that got loaded in and out of trucks/trailers but I often use Tuki's when I'm putting the amp in the car for a short haul gig. They work pretty well. My only experience with Lecover is a PA dust cover. Mostly decorative I find, but it does keep the dust off and I guess that is what it was designed to do. Fits fine and seems well made.

I like the look of the Slipcovers but I wonder just how solid the padding is. Is the quilting sewn through? Also are the zippers covered so there aren't amp rubs on the zipper? A four hour ride with the amp vibrating on exposed metal (like a zipper) can rub right throuh tolex. What is the story there? If these things are worked out, these covers look good.

hunter

12. mprvise

mprvise Member

Never had a Le Cover, but I've been using Tuki for years and I'm very pleased. Looks like you really can't go wrong with either.

13. Plan9FOS

Plan9FOS Member

I switched to Susan and Studio Slips from Tuki ... faster service, covers are excellent. Never had a problem with Tuki though ...

14. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

The Studio Slips clam shell covers are great! They are much easier to use. You unzip, unfold, sit the amp on the bottom panel, flip the front and back up, and zip. I'll take an industrial strength zipper over a cat hair and carpet fuzz infested velcro strip. They are much easier to deal with for custom orders than Tuki also. Pretty fast too.

15. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
  16. Gril Grissom

Gril Grissom Member

Susan and StudioSlips are the best!!!...I used to use Tuki, not bad, ... I just like Susan's products better! GREAT customer service too! :)

best of luck in your decision .

RS

17. boneshaker

boneshaker Member

This was some time ago, perhaps things have changed. I ordered a large number of covers from Larry. He didn't have sizes on file, like Tuki. More than half didn't fit. He refused to take them back. He came to my rehearsal loft and measured for more covers himself. They didn't, and still don't, fit. As a guest in my place of business, I found him to be an arrogant pain in the as*. Large order, long wait, no fit, no customer service. My Tuki's all fit.

18. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Since this is bumped 3.5 years from my original post, I'll chime in to say I went with Studio Slips and love Susan's covers. I know have ordered 7 from her for heads, combos and cabinets. All have fit perfectly and are holding up very well. I really adding the back pouch for power and speaker cables.

19. urlkonig

urlkonig Supporting Member

:aok for Susan. Just ordered my 3rd cover from her.

20. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

I have used Tuki for years and always been happy. I have also spoken to Larry @ LeCover a few times and he seems very easy to work with and has good prices. I may get a cover for my Emplexador from him for when I don't feel like lugging a road case.