Amp Crackling!! HELP

markschick

So I plugged in my AC20 tonight, and it sounded fine. Then all of a sudden, the amp starts crackling and humming really loud. The guitar signal was no longer coming through. Turned it off for a while...when I turned it back on, same thing happened. Worked fine for a few minutes then did the crackling again. What's the deal??

vintage66

One thing you can try is removing the power tubes and spraying the pins with electronic contact cleaner and reinstalling them while it's still wet, and kind of wiggle it to clean the contacts. I'd let it dry before turning it on. I had the same thing happen after installing new tubes and this cured it. Worth a shot. Btw, this is what Eurotubes recommends, which is where I got the idea (when I installed the new tubes it was at a dealer and I didn't have any cleaner). Of course the tubes may be bad too. New tubes would be my next course of action.

runnamukk

+1 check your tubes. Also, does it change when you touch/take your fingers off the strings, or the bridge? That could indicate ground loss, maybe in a worn cable or connector. Good luck!

markschick

So I plugged it in somewhere else and it seems like it's working. This may be a dumb question, but do I plug the speaker in the 8 or 16 jack? It's a 1x12 ac20 with a blue

markschick

New update...it's definitely still crackling. It's also a lot quieter than normal, but my
Guitar signal is coming through. Tubes?

Trending Topics