Amp dealbreakers...what is yours?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ce24fan, Oct 20, 2015.

1. ce24fan

ce24fan Member

Let's face it, if you are on this forum, you have at least a BIT of corksniffer within you. When i say "dealbreaker" i'm refering to that one little thing that would turn you off of an otherwise awesome amp.

For me, it would be top mounted controls......I've owned a couple amps that had them and they went to the auction block despite how well they sounded. I gave up a schweet deal on a PRS Super Dallas (one of the most awesome sounding amps i've personally played) all because of the top mounted controls. i absolutely HATE top mounted controls! They are the :"brown M&Ms" in my bowl of candy! LOL!! Does anyone else have a similiar peeve?

2. sfryette

sfryette Member

Channels labeled "Clean, Mean and Scream".

3. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different! Supporting Member

Aesthetics! I love the way old school amps look! Some of the PRS and H and K stuff is what first comes to mind and just looks horrible to me.

4. demea26

demea26 Member

EVH 5150 III 50w clean/crunch shared volume

sugarlou likes this.
  5. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

Dark, muddy tone. Lots of mid priced amps have this problem. They sound good alone, but get lost in a mix.

I also don't like shared EQ on channel switchers. I can never find a setting that works for both channels.

I'll also balk at any amp with an effects loop. It's a feature I never use, and usually has a detrimental effect on tone. But if they some how managed to make it sound really good even with an effects loop, I can just not use it. But most amps with loops don't do it for me tone-wise anyway.

I just like simple circuits. The more complex the circuit gets, the harder it gets to coax a decent tone out of it. Each part in the signal path degrades the tone a bit. It's just the nature of electronics. You can't add fidelity once it's entered the circuit, only take it away. The more parts you add, the more parts that will be degrading the signal, and thus the more parts you'll need to shape what's left into a usable tone. Look at the Mesa Mark series of amps as an example. They're great amps with very complex circuits and can sound really good. But they require two different EQ circuits just to get a usable tone out of, and even then, it's not easy.

6. fishcake

fishcake Member

Price.

I dont have as much disposable income, and unfortunately this is the one dealbreaker i cant control:p

7. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I know what you mean but pretty much disagree with everything you have written. Rivera Fandango has an excellent effects loop. Jumper it with a shorting cord and now you can play at ultra low volumes using the effects loop as a grand master. For example I have my amp with the pregain on 5 and master on 5, this is for home use. The effects loop is on 3.

The Mesa has pre and post eq sections. Turn the bass off or 1, and use the post preamp to add bass before the final power section. Plenty of full bass with no mud.

These type of amps have just as much tone and more options than what you seem to believe might be superior.

Moot likes this.
  8. Optimus Rhyme

Optimus Rhyme Member

Single channel amps with zero headroom. Sometimes a brother needs some clean tone y'know?

9. 696

696 Member

Digital reverb or whatever, no harmonics, sterile sound.

redeyedjim likes this.
  10. saf_1

saf_1 Member

That is a holdover from the mid-80's Fender "Concert" amp, which he (Paul Rivera) designed the circuitry for. I've owned one and played through several, and always thought that was a cool feature. Was an active loop, with a pre and post gain control for the effects (on the back), and you could jumper it and effectively add another gain stage to the preamp. I think Fender developed the Concert, as kind of an answer to the Boogie, (1x12 open back combo, all tube, 2 6L6's - 60w, two channel - one Fender clean, the other cascading gain), hoping to compete in the same market. I've always felt the Concert was a highly underappreciated amp.

As far as dealbreakers go, any dealbreakers for me, would be restricted to tonal issues - not the aesthetics of the amp. If it sounded great, I could deal with the looks. One thing I really can't live with, is a shared master on a channel switching amp - where there is a huge volume disparity when you switch channels - that you are really unable to adequately adjust using the controls on the amp, without completely losing the tone you are after in one channel or the other.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  11. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Member

When Paul left, Fender made some changes to the Concert line. Probably for the sake of production costs. The "post Paul" amps weren't as good an amp, IMHO.

I pretty much agree with this. My other deal breaker is lights like HK.

Ilduce likes this.
  12. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different! Supporting Member

That's how I feel about H and K, but it's funny, the lights don't bother me on the Mesa TA 15! Go figure!

13. BMX

BMX Member

For me the controls have to either be angled like Fenders are, or on the top. Front mounted controls don't work for me because the amp is never high enough off the ground and I try to minimize the amount of time I'm bent over facing away from the audience on stage.

14. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

An awesome amp from an individual that communicates poorly during a transaction, says intentionally misleading or dishonest things, or that engages in hyperbole steers me away. Not thinking of anybody in particular, but something I have experienced several times and was a deciding factor. I regretted not following this on two occasions (out of two transactions).

Not really an amp thing, though.

Leonc likes this.
  15. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

homemade cabinet. cheap stained plywood, bad corners, etc.

16. PVH

PVH Member

My dealbreaker would be having too many options. I've learned that I really only need one or two good channels that do what I need than having a bunch of extra knobs and switches; otherwise I spend more time tweaking than I do playing.

"I'd rather have 10 techniques I can fight with than 100 techniques that fight me." - Grandmaster Ed Parker

amstrtatnut, BADHAK, QRSS and 3 others like this.
  17. Serenity

Serenity Member

Amps with built in effects. I'm ok with having reverb and/or tremolo, though i'm happier without them, but anything else is a no go as far as i'm concerned.

losrogers, Faraldi, gtone and 2 others like this.
  18. FFTT

FFTT Member

Cheap PCB
    Automotive style clip on wiring harnesses & ribbon cables
    Tubes and tube sockets mounted directly to PCB.
    Jacks and Switches mounted to PCB.

19. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Supporting Member

Anything heavier than a Vox AC30 is right off the list.

WillLane and gtone like this.
  20. CRBMoA

CRBMoA Member