Amp Decision Time: Mesa Mark V:25 or Rectoverb 25

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Abandoned, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

I know, I know... Not another one. Lol. But I for real am making a decision on either a Mesa Mark V:25 or a Rectoverb 25 and just need a little help making my decision.

I've demo'd both twice and each time walked away liking one or the other more. 1st time it was the Mark V:25 and the second time was the Rectoverb 25. So it's kind of a split decision. I have the money for either so money is not an option. And it hard to resist the Mark V:25 when I have the money for it and it's extra features.

Anyways - any help is appreciated as I'm gonna make a decision by Monday hopefully.

So why buy one over the other tonally? Which one should I get?

2. BacchusPlateau

BacchusPlateau Member

What extra features on the Mark 5 do you like and think you'd miss if you got the Recto?
    Both are killer amps that in my mind can cover very similar grounds. What styles do you play?

3. 8len8

8len8 Member

Yeah, what kind of music?

4. theroan

theroan Member

The Mark V is the better amp. Better cleans, more features.

slybird likes this.
  5. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

I mostly interested in tone not features, but the Mark V:25 is crazy bang for your buck.
    You know I'm not that big of a features guy but the 5-band EQ would be handy not necessity. At the same time the 5-band EQ ensures I can dial in what I need to while it can also make things trickier to dial in. The cab clone is an awesome feature I'd definitely use, but I can also just buy a Cab Clone separate for the Rectoverb if I want.

I like simple amps too.

Needless to say I'm straight up torn between the 2 amps.

Style of music: classic Rock to heavier rock

6. onedge custom

onedge custom Member

Owning both the mini rec (the rectoverb without the reverb) and the mark v 25... If I could only have one, the mark... I can (honestly) get the mark to sound similar to the minirec but can't get the minirec to sound anything like the Mark...

7. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

Last time I demo'd both I felt like the Rectoverb felt better and was bigger and thicker and more vintage sounding. The Mark felt more like distortion and sounded that way almost no matter what. The Rectoverb 25 felt and wounded more like overdrive.
    Anyways - still torn.

8. slotools

slotools Member

I demo'd both today and bought the Mark v 25- I am planning to get the rectoverb later- Either will work, Mark V had more choices, but rectoverb has it's charm.

LPMojoGL likes this.
  9. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

What kinda guitar did you demo them with ? Through what cab? And what kinda sounds were you going for?

Would you mind describing your experience with them in more detail?

I'm far away from a dealer and just can't make another trip out to demo them.

10. onedge custom

onedge custom Member

You have "heard" the difference... The minirec/tremoverb are darker and perhaps more bass pronounced. The Mark v25 is brighter and has more saturation. You can use the EQ though to boost mids/bass and cut treble to make it sound more recto like.

No matter what you do to the recto, you can't get the high end cut of the Mark.

Both (all 3), however are outstandingly good

11. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

^

Yeah that's another question I have... Does the channel 2 modes in the Mark V:25 always sound and feel saturated?

12. la noise

la noise Supporting Member

Marks are too compressed and middy to my ears. Not
    to mention they feel stiff in a way that I don't jive with.

I don't think that it matters what amp you initially purchase.
    You'll end up second-guessing your decision and returning
    the amp you purchase first for the one you didn't purchase.

:D

Dad love mom likes this.
  13. Dorman

Dorman Member

I voted rectoverb as that's what I bought after demoing the v25, rov25, and express 525. I made several trips just like you and had paralysis by analysis, much like you are experiencing. I say that you can't go wrong either way, so I would go with your gut or flip a coin and just order one. It will have an exchange policy so you can spend some hardcore time playing your choice at home and make a more informed decision. Just don't look back or ask what if after making a choice. ;)

14. jb4674

jb4674 Member

Get the Mark V 25.....

15. Dorman

Dorman Member

PS. Here's a more detailed thread I posted after the first week with the ROV25. I've had a chance to run it at two more practices and it is continuing to impress. I'm chuffed this far. Not sure if you've read it or not but hopefully it can help sway you one way or the other.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1527003

16. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

Well I know you two :) Been helping me with my Recto threads, much appreciated by the way.

BUT - I will be ordering a custom finish head of one of these two amp heads so they'll be no returning 👎

But any links or more info ya'll can provide I'd much appreciate it as I will be buying one of these by beginning of next week.

17. Dorman

Dorman Member

Okay, even minus the return policy I still don't think you can make a wrong choice. For me it was a feel thing - I found the ROV to be more vintage-y, more organic, more raw, less stiff and less compressed. The V25 is a beast I just kept coming back to the tones of the rov25. I'm also a fan of simplicity, fewer controls and options for me means less time twisting knobs and more time playing.

You can always add a cab clone or a 5 band eq pedal to the ROV if you felt it was lacking. This decision... it's all about tone and feel here. They are both super versatile and usable across so many styles - it's a question of which flavor suits you best. Nobody can answer that but you, so youtube the hell out of demo videos, trust your gut, pull the trigger, and don't second guess yourself!

18. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

Good advice and thank you. Definitely don't mean to be buggin anyone here. I've just now gotta go off my previous two experiences (which conflict), what I can find on the Internet info and video wise which don't help me with feel.
    I remember thinking the ROV25 felt better to be but also felt like I had to crank treble and presence and turn bass off to get the right sound. But your right, I can always add the Mesa EQ pedal.
    Those extra modes on the MKV:25 are tempting though, but if it doesn't sound or feel right the extras don't matter anymore.

19. la noise

la noise Supporting Member

Are you required to buy the amp that wins the poll, Abandoned?? ;)

By the way, I didn't vote in it. I was surprised to see it so one-sided
    so far. Not sure if that is because the Mark is so disappointing, or the
    Rectoverb so surprisingly good to folks. :dunno

By the way, why no TA-30 option?? :huh

20. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

Lol - no :) but I really am just looking for input but for some others its easier and quicker just to vote so I added a poll. I do know where you stand on this poll though, why not vote?

I am suprised to see it so one sided so far as well, maybe the Mark guys are early risers :)

I've tried the TA-15 quite a few times and never liked it much.