Amp Decision (TRRI) - Need Advice!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by aleiberman, Jan 25, 2015.

1. aleiberman

aleiberman Member

Why do I love the Twin Reverb Reissue so much??!!!! Almost every guitar I play through it, it sounds amazing. 3D sounding and Full. The cleans are the best. I've also played vintage twins and those are nice also, but I do really like the sounds of the TRRI. I also play mostly at home and do jam with friends occasionally. So the weight of the amp isn't an issue for me at all. When I play at home, I play at lower volumes. 2.5 on a TRRI is probably where I would run mine at home most of the time.

I currently have a Mesa Mark III, which I really only use for the cleans, but they are not as good as the TRRI. It also doesn't take pedals as well as a Twin IMHO. I don't use the lead channel. The Mark III is in amazing condition.

I also have a 68 Silverface Bandmaster head that I play through 2 x 12 THD Cabinet. It sounds awesome with a strat, but I doesn't sound like the TRRI. But maybe I just have a bad case of GAS.

GC near me has a great condition 2002 one, that I can get for a good price, but I don't want all three amps. I could let both the Bandmaster and Mesa Boogie Mark III go, and I have no problem having a single amp, and I think the TRRI would do everything for me (with pedals of course). I'm not into multi channel amps either.

I've also owned a TRRI for a few days and returned it for something I thought was better at the time. Ever since then, I've wanted one back!

Just curious what others would do. I'm already expecting everyone to say get a silverface twin :)

Thanks!

2. 335guy

335guy Member

Get and keep the one that's working for you. Sounds to me like you really are into the TRRI. Doesn't matter if it doesn't have the vintage/boutique pedigree, it's what you like that matters.

3. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

Would you *ever* get to crank it? A Twin sounds kinda different at various points on the volume knob. If all you're ever doing is playing at 2-2.5, I'd [personally] go with a DRRI... or maybe even something small like a PRRI run into an extension cab.

I've owned a TRRI. I found it difficult to get a a clean sound better than a PRRI at home volumes.

4. aleiberman

aleiberman Member

I'm even thinking of just getting a new Hot Rod Deluxe or Blues Deluxe.

I've owned the Hot Rod Deluxe before and it wasn't bad actually, even though it seemed very cheaply made.

5. aleiberman

aleiberman Member

Any thoughts out there?

6. Lef T

Lef T Member

I think you're suffering from GAS.
    I've got a TRRI and think it's time has come.
    To play at home,the Twin is way overkill.
    Get a Deluxe or Princeton or 68 Vibrolux or whatever.
    I'm off to check out some smaller amps tomorrow.
    The Twin is getting too heavy and I've got Gas too.

7. Hilltopper

Hilltopper Member

You've had one and let it go, and sounds like you've regretted it since. Everyone can give you their own opinions, but in the end you are the one who will have to "mate" with it (pardon the analogy :) ), and it really sounds like you've made your choice. I'd say get the TRRI, but play the one you are going to buy before you buy it, just to be sure. Good luck!

8. FFking

FFking Member

You said that you can get one at a good price from GC. Go buy it and play it for a few weeks and take it back if it doesn't make the magic happen. They have the 30 day return policy for just that reason. I Had both the drri and a hot rod at the same time. I was impressed by the hot rod but the drri just sounded richer to me. I sold the hot rod. Good luck.