Amp Designs/Logos

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by joshbaezmusic, Feb 25, 2012.

1. joshbaezmusic

joshbaezmusic Member

I was looking through amps today, and was really turned off by a lot of them just based on how they looked..

So.. have you had the same experience? Has an amp logo or design just turned you off from it immediately?

For me.. it goes like this..

Peavey- logo
    Mesa Boogie- name, reminds me of Mega Booger for some reason..
    Egnater- name, eggs..

2. mAx___

mAx___ Member

I particularly dislike the Bad Cat logo -although I understand they are superb amps. The Art Nouveau font and the cat eyes on the sides are ugly as hell IMO. (Disclaimer: I'm a graphics guy).
    Matchless also has a logo that is too big and it's not even a logo, it's just typed text with a default computer font written in all caps. Not horrible but not a great design either.
    For a "handwritten" style logo, Bogner picked the most generic computer font available. Again, no real logo design, just typed text. Egnater would be a good example of a nice, modern font of the same style.
    Valvetech, another great amp with a logo design that turns me completely off.

On the other side you have guys like Xits or Morgan who actually took the time to design good logos and amazing cabs for their amps.

3. dangeroso

dangeroso Member

I also work in the design industry, but I usually keep amp aesthetics separate from what I consider to be good design in other parts of life.

That said, I really can't stand the Carr logo.

4. Charlie_Pace

Charlie_Pace Member

I'm with you dude. Hell, the main reason I even started looking at the Divided stuff was because they looked so rad. It didn't hurt they sonically rocked my world.

5. KindaFuzzy

KindaFuzzy Member

That's funny eh, the peavey logo is the worst, but everyone's probably owned one once in their life.

6. joshbaezmusic

joshbaezmusic Member

I'm glad I'm not alone! I LOVE the morgan logo, it's simple but also screams class haha.

7. Jon@Home

Jon@Home Member

I can't even say peavey without making a face.....

8. Dave

Dave Member

I've never let ugly stop me from buying an amp, and I actually like a lot of Peavey stuff, but their logo is the worst. As successful as they've been, I'll bet they could be even more so if they'd change the ridiculous logo and make some decent looking stuff.

9. ian c

ian c Supporting Member

i kinda like rectangle shaped black boxes .
    boxes with satellite , matchless , marshall , vox etc writ on them .
    the vox ones are pretty ugly , apart from the earlier seperate letter ones .
    some of the marshall and fender ones with squiggly writing look cool .
    and the matchless ones light up . which is cooler .
    but the satellite one is the best .
    but my favourite is the old park logo that i modified with a sharpie to say f**k .

to be honest , i ussually play with the amp behind me , so it rarely enters my mind ........

10. joshbaezmusic

joshbaezmusic Member

I personally would rather go with something simple like Vox, than with something that tries way too hard like Peavey. Peavey, to me, reminds me of the cousin that tries much too hard to get attention at Thanksgiving.

11. Profklamen

Profklamen Supporting Member

Bad cat set the bar for the worst graphics.

12. ian c

ian c Supporting Member

they have some cool teeshirts though .

top-hat . i dont really like there logo .

13. joshbaezmusic

joshbaezmusic Member

The bad cat graphics look like an Ed Hardy tattoo gone wrong.. or horribly right.

14. guitarnut

guitarnut Member

budda logo sucks ... it uses one of the worst fonts of all time, Mistral. only marginally better than Comic Sans.

[​IMG]

but dang i love my superdrive 18 anyways.

15. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

I absolutely LOVE my Kustom Defender V100.

Not a big fan of the logo on the front of the amp, though... sigh...

And those screws on the badge? Worthless... that thing is glued to the cab with superglue or sumfin... I was going to flip it over... but no such luck.

[​IMG]

16. Rockyrollercat

Rockyrollercat Member

That Jet city thing looks like a Texas belt buckle.

17. Onioner

Onioner Member

Yup. Jet City is super ugly. Honestly, most of them are, though some are surely worse than others.

Among the big names, Fender's gotta be the winner. That thing just looks classy.

18. j.s.tonehound

j.s.tonehound Member

Convincing myself to buy an AxeFX would be moot if it looked like Apple were in charge of aesthetics. One button, flip up touch screen top, brushed silver perforated casing... maybe Axe III.

19. feet

feet Supporting Member

i didn't care much for the old top hat stuff but the newer stuff is wonderful. i have a massive art deco boner, but still. the best ones are the ones that just have a little top hat that lights up. i love that. i acknowledge that the look isn't for everyone.

as stated earlier, morgan and xits are very pretty. love the white faces on the morgans and the brushed engraved whatever on the xits.

obviously, its all about tone, but if it looks good, so much the better. i don't know why someone would put so much time into designing and amp then just throw it in a plain, ugly box. then again, i still have some 80s peavey stuff that isn't going anywhere. :)

conversely, i dislike it more when they try to hard to make something look different, like some of the three monkeys amps, all trapezoids and sparkles with a bad logo. don't care for the vents on the 65 amps either, but they don't look bad. the carr stuff should work for me, but doesn't. i like different ideas and just love two tone stuff, but they just aren't doing it right.

20. Ramhead

Ramhead Member

Here's a few examples of the amp logos I like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]