Amp died on me, PLEASE HELP!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jpv0209, Jun 1, 2008.

1. jpv0209

jpv0209 Member

So i'm an idoit....I accidently left my amp on for a couple of days. Its a VOX ac30. I had been playing on it and got distracted and had to leave and left the power on it, the stand-by was off thought. So i went to play it the other day and now it won't even turn on.

Does anyone have any idea what happened. Am I going to have to get it re-tubed? Any help with be great.

2. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

I'm guessing that heat build up has melted something, probably a solder in the PCB. That's probably a best case scenario, an eay fix.
    It's a tech job for sure, but check the fuse first,

3. mike80

mike80 Member

Definately check the fuse first.

I've heard horror stories about power trannies dying from leaving the amp on for a few days.

4. PremiumPlus

PremiumPlus Member

If it got hot enough to melt solder you've got a problem that resoldering won't help. But check the fuse (s) first.

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Does the pilot light come on? Check fuses.

6. jpv0209

jpv0209 Member

I'll look again, but I took the back panel off and the circuit board looks fine. None of the soldering looks damaged at all, Is there another fuse that that I"m not seeing? There is one that you can access from the back panel, I'll check that one again, but is there another one?

7. Structo

Structo Member

That is kind of strange.
    If the standby was off, that is not in the play position, the only voltage going to the amp is the heater voltage. No B+.
    I had a friend that left his amp on in standby for a week accidentally when he went on vacation.
    He was totally upset at his goof, but it didn't hurt a thing.
    How old is the amp?

It's probably something simple ( I hope).
    Good luck.

8. jpv0209

jpv0209 Member

maybe a year or 2 old, i bought it used and have never had a problem with it. I'll have the guys down at the guitar shop take a look at it maybe they could give me some insight on what to do.

9. kronos

kronos Member

The same happened to me with my Cornford. After rehearsal I left the amp switched on for three days (no stand-by-switch). I expected the worst, but fortunately it turned out that there was only a blown power tube and a damaged resistor.

10. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

11. jpv0209

jpv0209 Member

Yea looks like tonight I'm gonna take it apart and find out whats blown and whats not blown. Thanks for the quick response everyone, I'll let you know the sad outcome...gotta get her workin by the weekend though!!

12. stratocaster

stratocaster Member

Is it a CC? if so have a look on the power amp circuit board, there's 2 fuses hidden away on there that alot of folk don't know about, good luck.

13. mike80

mike80 Member

Just because the fuse looks intact doesn't always mean it is. Checking it with a multi-meter is the only way to know for sure.

14. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    Remember to check the fuses out of circuit, meaning take them out and measure the resistance across them. Never do it in circuit, bad things can happen when that is done.

TheGrooveking

15. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

If the light didn't come on, it's probably just a fuse.

16. jpv0209

jpv0209 Member

So I got the amp apart, changed all the fuses and thats not the problem, so I"m going to change the GZ34 tube today and see if that does anything, and retest all the fuses to make sure they're still working. What a pain. I did notice one of the resistors looked different, I don't know if just the outside paint coat is peeling off or if it might be damaged, I'll take a picture and post it later today.

17. jpv0209

jpv0209 Member

btw....its the resistor to the first el34 next to the gz34

18. jpv0209

jpv0209 Member

Well finally got the amp fixed. Yea it needed all new tubes (pre and power) and new fuses and a 1/4" input jack. The sob who owned it before had put tubes in it that shouldn't of been in there. My repair guy said that he was suprised that it was even working before. Anyway after $200 its like a brand new amp woohoo!!