Amp “distortion” or pedal (when using a modeler)

jjaaam

Title says it all. If I’m using a modeler, I should be able to get a cranked amp tone regardless of the volume output of the modeler, right?

If so, then why use a dirt pedal model? Distortion pedals solved a problem with getting cranked tone at low volumes. With a modeler that problem doesn’t exist.

Basically, if I get a POD Go or an HX Stomp - and I can dial in, say, a 5150 dimed out, then why would I ever use one of the many pedal models?

Thoughts and insights would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jace Nuzback

You're absolutely right.
It's simply a tone thing.
Some people like the tone of a lower gain setting and lower master volume setting
with a pedal model in front of the amp block. This can lower the bass frequencies coming
in to the amp block and provide more of an edge giving you a tighter tone.
When you push the power tubes in an amp with the master volume on full,
the tubes distort and can sound mushy. The same is true of the modeled amp.
But there's nothing wrong with that sound it's simply a matter of taste.

jjaaam

Got it. I’ve never played in a situation where I can really crank up a tune amp. So I’m used to the pedal type tone.

Sounds like some experimentation is in my future, lol...

Thanks for the replies

RLD

Silver Supporting Member
Title says it all. If I’m using a modeler, I should be able to get a cranked amp tone regardless of the volume output of the modeler, right?

If so, then why use a dirt pedal model? Distortion pedals solved a problem with getting cranked tone at low volumes. With a modeler that problem doesn’t exist.

Basically, if I get a POD Go or an HX Stomp - and I can dial in, say, a 5150 dimed out, then why would I ever use one of the many pedal models?

Thanks!
Beauty of a modeler is you can do both. :D
I use an AX8/Dirty Shirley amp and I have 4 different levels of amp gain,(preamp and/or power amp + boost) plus two drive pedals and I can use any or all at any time.
Volume pedal after the amp lets me have all those choices at any volume...and my clean sound is just my guitar volume knob down.
It's pretty cool.

Emigre

I use amp gain only for riffing. I kick in an OD for soloing (AX8).

I like the way this sounds and it's also how my patch is configured. I only have 2 "channels" on the AX8, for example.

Does it matter? No, it's all code in the end. Whatever sounds good (just like IRL? :))

John Mark Painter

Silver Supporting Member
Got it. I’ve never played in a situation where I can really crank up a tune amp. So I’m used to the pedal type tone.

Sounds like some experimentation is in my future, lol...

Thanks for the replies
Often what is great....BOTH.
Lots of people don't believe they used a Rat/Tube Screamer/DS-1 etc on whatever famous record you can think of.
If is generally a combination of amp breakup with OD clipping (often at low settings).
Not into a clean amp

GenoBluzGtr

Platinum Supporting Member
I think the "feel" is much different as well. I find that the pedal tone works really well when the guitar is the dominant instrument in the mix. Sort of "smoother".... but in the context of a band mix - at least to my ears - tube amp clipping has a rawness that makes the guitar stand out better in the mix when you need it to.

fts06

I almost always prefer pedal overdrive. I find amp overdrive harsh. But modelers mostly don't take pedals as well as a tube amp.

aleclee

TGP Tech Wrangler
Staff member
Depends on the model/modeler. I generally prefer amp drive but some modeled dirt boxes work well for me.

In my experience (and I've not used any real high end stuff) The modeller I have is a Zoom G3. All the high gain amp models in the G3 are incapable of getting that usable saturation and compression that I love about high gain tones on their own, even cranking the gain doesn't give enough. In order to get what I need I used to dial in the drive of the amp model just over half way cranked and then use a tubescreamer model to push that further but I found the OD/Distortion pedal models on the G3 were awful so I got a proper analogue overdrive pedal to stick in front of the Zoom and this works really well or at least well enough for me to keep this setup for about 5 years or so. I will be getting either a Kemper stage or FM3 (I'm on the Europe waiting list) so for me, it was a necessity to get a proper OD in front of the amp model. Also found that cranking the gain on the high gain amps and/or cranking pedal OD models in front of the amp were also not very nice sounding and sometimes harsh. I think it all depends on the type of tone you go for. For me, both in the physical and modelling realms, I prefer a half cranks amp distortion with a pedal to push the amp tone further into natural compression as it cleans up better with the guitar volume, the bottom ends sounds tighter and more focused and the mids and highs sing so much better, just my preferences in tone experimentation.

Last edited:

sleewell

i use a ts set as a boost with no gain in front of the revv amp sim.

same logic applies as with a tube amp, the boost just makes for a better metal rhythm tone.

Thanks!
I think it's good to have the pedal models available too for stacking gain and variety, more combinations, basically even more unique sounds to conjure. Everyone likes freedom and options!:D

What's more, I think using outboard pedals together with amp modelling solutions can yield some pretty awesome tones! Recently I plugged straight into my interface with only a pedal in between and compared it with the modeller's own versions of these pedals. You can check the results right here:

So which is best, amp distortion models? Drive pedal models? Analog pedals with amp models? All analog rig? All I can say is that nowadays, any of these options can get great tones to those willing to experiment!;)

jjaaam

Another thing...if I used amp distortion then I’d save an effects block on the Pod Go I’m gonna get...right?

Trending Topics