• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Amp drive channel over a pedal?

tremster

How many of you actually use the amp drive channel exclusively for overdrive, instead of an OD pedal, in gigs? If so, name your amp.

Gnarlly

If I am not using my DRRI + Crunch Box, I would use a Marshall Jubilee or Bogner Shiva with the amps' overdrive/crunch.

rcl

Elmwood M60. THough I cheat. I throw a boostiest in the mix so I have 2 more gears on each channel, 4 total sounds in each channel. From clean to mean and everything in between...

Gnarlly

which speakers you have try or use that you like more using the Jubilee?
I've tried my Jubilees through my DRRI's Jensen C12K, Greenbacks, V30's, and CL80's. My 2554 combo has the stock V30 in it, but that speaker in the small cab gives a little too much of a middy/boxy sound IMO. Greenbacks give it more of a classic rock sound, which is nice but not as versatile IMO.

My 2553 is mostly used as a backup for either the DRRI, 2554, or Shiva 1x12 combo w/CL80; I like it best through the CL80. A nice blend of a V30 and a G12-75; nice bass and highs with more mids than the 75, but not too much like a V30.

sqadan

I've given up on amps with "Drive" channels and master volumes... I get more versatility out of a good clean sound and pedals.

Orange and Mesa seems to have nice drive channels though... they just are not my thing.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Egnater Tourmaster....4 channels....I use all 4......No pedals needed

83stratman

Silver Supporting Member
I use amp's drive channel. Amps...
Marshall JCM800 2205
Marshall JVM
Carvin Legacy
Peavey 6505+
Peavey Express 112

Pat Healy

Egnater Mod50 with various modules, mostly the SL2 for gain. I have a Timmy and a BB Preamp on my board, but never use them when I play through the Mod50.

davetcan

I haven't used my overdrive pedal since I bought my Lonestar Special back in August.
+1.

Just picked a Special about a month ago and now that it's dialed in there's really no need for my OD's unless I want to add different "flavours".

Phil M

Silver Supporting Member
I used to use a blackface style amp for gritty cleans and use pedals for dirt. This works and is a good sound, but in the end I ended up preferring the feel and tone of a channel switcher with a good lead channel. I play dirty the vast majority of the time.

These days it is a VHT 50ST

HEAVENandHELL

I use the drive channels of both my Mesa Dual Rectifier and Lee Jackson XLS1000.

I set my 1 channel Black Pearl gritty and add dirt pedals for live. In the studio I will use the amps dirt.

phillyred79

Platinum Supporting Member
For the longest time I would have considered myself a purest in the sense that I hated distortion/overdrive/crunch pedals and thought that only an amp's drive/lead channel could give me natural and organic tones- BUT, as I've grown more experienced I've realized that adding a pedal here and there can really help shape your tone and get you that much closer to the tone you're searching for. I guess for me it all depends on the amp I'm using at the time. As of right now I own a BBE Boosta Grande (clean boost) and an Xotic AC+. The clean boost really helps to fatten up my tone on my clean channels and pushes the amp a little harder to get some early break-up esp. at lower volumes when I don't want to be too loud. On the dirty channels I've found the boost to tighten up the lower to lower-mids and give the drive some for focus in those areas. My AC+ works good anywhere and by itself on the clean channel gives me a different overall drive flavor entirely different from the lead channel alone. The amps I use and have used are Two-Rock Type 3, CR Sig, Vox AC15H1TV, Orange Thunderverb/Rockerverb, Mesa Boogie Express/Mark IV..

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
I generally prefer an 2nd or 3rd channel for drive than pedals, but I tend to use both in any case.

Trending Topics