Amp etiquette question: Is it appropriate to post gut shots of boutique amps?

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
No one would hesitate to post a gut shot of a vintage amp or a modern mass produced amp. But I've noticed occasionally in various forums discomfort when people post gut shots of boutique amps. I guess that's why some builders goop their circuits.

From my perspective, I own the amp - why shouldn't I post pix of it if I like? But being the courteous dude that I am, I thought I'd ask how the teeming masses feel about it.

nmiller

Drowning in lap steels
Given the nature of the product and the nature of the market today, I think any boutique amp builder today would have to consider their circuit "copyable". I understand why builders would rather their schematics not be made public, but I don't think it's practical to expect that anymore.

Badside

As far as I'm concerned, people who would manage to figure out the circuit from the picture and build a clone... weren't gonna buy the real one anyway.

I think it's more that sometimes people are pissed to find out that their 2-3k$ amp actually looks like a kit build inside using average components (I'm thinking of a certain company that starts with M...).

There is also more to an amp than the circuit, and seeing gut shots doesn't mean you can get the exact same result for half the price, unless said "boutique" builder is playing funny games.

PB Wilson

I don't really think it should be looked down upon. A builder should be willing to stand behind their construction method, choice of parts and their attention to detail, especially when it's dead easy to loosen a few bolts to see what's going on under the hood. Yes, there are many people who get all corksniffery when it comes to perfectly twisted wires and surgically precise component layouts, but just take a look at a '60s Fender to know that "messy" wiring and not necessarily the most expensive parts can still make a fantastic sounding amp.

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
No one would hesitate to post a gut shot of a vintage amp or a modern mass produced amp. But I've noticed occasionally in various forums discomfort when people post gut shots of boutique amps. I guess that's why some builders goop their circuits.

From my perspective, I own the amp - why shouldn't I post pix of it if I like? But being the courteous dude that I am, I thought I'd ask how the teeming masses feel about it.
I think it depends on the builder. I have Germinos and Ceriatones. Both of these builders post gut shots on their websites, so why not?

slide13

Silver Supporting Member
...but just take a look at a '60s Fender to know that "messy" wiring and not necessarily the most expensive parts can still make a fantastic sounding amp.
Or look inside a Carr amp! They are not neatly laid out but wired point-to-point....they look crazy messy inside but they're also some of the nicest sounding and quietest amps I've ever owned. Currently have a new Sportsman and I'm amazed at how quiet this amp is, even if I crank the reverb to max it amazes me how quiet it is. I've had other high-end boutique amps that were much tidier looking inside that was nowhere near as quiet as my Carr when it comes to background noise.

-TJ-

That's what I told the moderators, but I still got banned for three weeks. ;)
Well if that is a forum rule, and they are a private enterprise then they can choose to randomly enforce whatever they want.

I mean, I can rant about religion and politics in my day to day all I want... and sometimes I do! But it won't fly here, and that's ok.

sfarnell

Silver Supporting Member
The boutique builders who I know don't like it. If you care about what they think, don't do it. If you feel like you have every right to do it so you're going to do it regardless of what the builders want or think, go ahead. Personally, I wouldn't post a gut shot of a boutique amp on the internet, but if I was selling the amp I might send a gut shot pic to a potential purchaser via email or PM. It would not be a close up shot in which all or most of the values/measurements could be discerned.